Shock for Lancashire bride-to-be as big day venue loses licence

Olive Garden Italian restaurant, Preston Road, Standish
Olive Garden Italian restaurant, Preston Road, Standish
Share this article
0
Have your say

A bride-to-be was left devastated after losing her wedding reception venue just 10 days before her big day.

Ayshea Plumb, from Chorley, was putting the last minute touches to her wedding preparations when she received the shock news.

Ayshea Plumb with Matthew Blincoe and their 12 month old son Harry.

Ayshea Plumb with Matthew Blincoe and their 12 month old son Harry.

The venue – the Olive Garden in Standish – was unable to hold the reception after suddenly losing its licence.

Wigan Council made the decision following noise nuisance complaints against the venue.

The Olive Gardens, which had its licence withdrawn for June 11, 12 and 18, has appealed, but a hearing will take place at Wigan Town Hall tomorrow.

It has left a stunned Ayshea – who is four months pregnant – and fiancé Matthew Blincoe, 47, hurriedly trying to find alternative premises.

I just burst into tears

Friends put out a Facebook appeal in an effort to save the day. Mum-of-four Ayshea, 43, who comes from the Buttermere Avenue area of Chorley, was distraught after receiving an email from the Olive Garden afternoon explaining it could not hold the reception.

“I just burst into tears,” she said. “We’ve had it booked for about the last six months.

“It’s just so stressful with just days to go.”

Ayshea, who works in a chip shop in Standish, and Matthew, who comes from Shaw near Oldham and works as a bus driver, are getting married at Chorley Register Office at 4pm on Saturday, June 18.

They paid the Olive Garden £2,300 for the reception with 110 people expected.

She said the Olive Garden had been helpful to them in trying to find a new venue and are happily returning their money if necessary.

Two other venues – The Pines, Clayton-le-Woods and Park Hall, Charnock Richard – have both offered to put on the couple’s reception.

Ayshea said: “We’re not going to make a decision until Tuesday until after the tribunal. The Olive Garden have said they’ll leave the rooms open for us.”

A Wigan Council spokesperson said: “A temporary event notice was received from the Olive Garden and has since been referred to the licensing committee following noise nuisance complaints.

“The committee meeting has been rescheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, June 14, when we hope to address the issues raised.”