Preston band Dennis Delight ready to rock again almost one year on from van robbery

Legendary Preston band Dennis Delight are ready to rock again '“ 10 months after drummer Paul Swindells was almost killed in a violent robbery.

Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 5:23 pm
Updated Thursday, 12th April 2018, 8:36 am
Dennis Delight with Paul on drums

Read More

Read More
Preston man trapped under van after tackling thief

And the musicians are promising their patient fans “it will be worth the wait.”

A new album, lovingly crafted during the bleak months of Paul’s rehabilitation, is ready for release to coincide with their return to the stage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

And locals will get the chance to see the band’s first performance in almost a year when the lads go live at Bamber Bridge Football Club on May 18.

“Yes, it’s been a long time coming– but we’re ready and we can’t wait,” said Paul. “Personally I’m doing great and I’m very much looking forward to getting back on stage. When May 18 comes, I’m sure everyone will agree we sound bettter than ever.”

Paul spent almost a month in hospital after being crushed under his own van as he tried to stop an opportunist thief stealing it. The robber drove the vehicle over him three times before fleeing on foot, leaving Paul trapped under the wheels.

He suffered a catalogue of injuries to his pelvis, chest and back and also broke his right hand, an injury which has stopped him playing keyboards in a second band, Sinnergod.

The other Dennis Delight members cancelled all gigs until Paul was fit again. Their new album – Behind the Disguise – was due out last September, but it was put on hold until the band were back up and playing.

“It’s a very different sound too our last albums,” said Paul. “We’re going to be bringing Dennis Delight into the 21st century with this one. We wanted to wait until we got back on form as a band and I was in good physical and mental fitness.”

Paul was doing his day job at an address near Bolton last June when he tried to stop a thief stealing his works van.

He was run over three times before the robber fled on foot, leaving him with serious injuries.

Paul told the Post from his hospital bed: “The whole thing was over in seconds and it wasn’t until I’d been dragged several feet on the road and had my body pulverised by the weight of the van that I realised what had happened.

“I’ve come to realise just how close I was to not making it .”

Paul finally returned to rehearsals in December. No-one has been arrested so far.