We deserved more says PNE boss

PNE striker Joe Garner celebrates scoring against Blackburn
PNE striker Joe Garner celebrates scoring against Blackburn
Have your say

Preston North End manager Simon Grayson felt his side were unfortunate to finish on the losing side in their derby clash with Blackburn Rovers.

The Lilywhites were beaten 2-1 by Rovers in front of a bumper 19,852 crowd at Deepdale, the reverse bringing to an end their six-game unbeaten run.

A Jordan Pickford own goal - a clearance off the line from Paul Gallagher rebounded off the goalkeeper's back - and Jordan Rhodes' penalty put the visitors 2-0 up.

Joe Garner's first goal of the season halved the deficit and despite North End dominated the closing stages, they could not fashion an equaliser.

Preston finished with 10 men, centre-half Bailey Wright sent-off in the 90th minute for collecting two bookings in quick succession.

The Australia international will serve a two-match ban - he gets the extra game having been sent-off earlier in the season - missing the visits to Fulham and Burnley.

Grayson said: "I think we deserved more. When you look back over the course of the game, the least we deserved was a point.

"There wasn't really much in the game in the first half, it was a typical derby where you are fighting for possession and tackles are going in.

"We suffered the disappointment of conceding a strange goal, the ball was ricocheting around the box and it hit Jordan Pickford.

"At half-time we talked about the need to up the tempo a bit more but then early on, we conceded the second goal - we have no complaints about it being a penalty.

"We responded really well and had Blackburn camped in their own half.

"Joe got his first goal of the season which lifted us, the place was rocking and we were on the front foot.

"But we couldn't get the equaliser. We wanted a bit of quality and guile with the final pass or cross and unfortunately didn't have it.

"The players you would have expected to have picked people out, didn't do it."

Garner's goal was his first since the second leg of the play-off semi-final, the striker firing home a low shot after being played in by Stevie May.

Calum Woods came off at half-time having suffered a slight hamstring strain, Grayson saying the substitution was more of a precaution.