When Preston North End wore borrowed shirts in their clash with Crewe Alexandra in 1990

Shirtless Preston North End deserved more than the point they got against Crewe at Gresty Road on Boxing Day 1990.

Monday, 22nd June 2020, 4:48 pm
Graham Shaw scores Preston North End's second goal against Crewe at Gresty Road on Boxing Day 1990

When the kit hamper was unpacked before the game it was discovered that PNE’s shirts had been left behind in Lancashire.

It meant North End had to be kitted out by their hosts and they took to the pitch wearing a set of plain white shirts.

Twice the Lilywhites took the lead through goals from Ian Bogie and Graham Shaw.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ian Bogie fires Preston ahead at Crewe on Boxing Day 1990

However, twice they got pegged back although there were grounds of mitigation in the fact they played an hour with 10 men.

Central defender Adrian Hughes was sent off in the 30th minute for bringing down Paul Clayton who was clear on goal.

A big Preston following was celebrating just six minutes into the contest as their side took the lead.

Brian Mooney sent over a cross from the right which Crewe keeper Paul Edwards appeared to be caught in two minds about.

Preston had to borrow Crewe's away shirts at Gresty Road on Boxing Day 1990

When the ball dropped in the middle, Graham Shaw touched it into the goalmouth and midfielder Bogie fired into the net.

North End had a couple of chances to add to that lead before Crewe equalised almost out of nowhere with 17 minutes on the clock.

A corner from Dale Jasper was cleared out of the box, the ball falling to Paul Clayton 30 yards out.

Clayton squared it to Mark Gardiner who let fly with a superb finish which beat Alan Kelly all ends up.

PNE midfielder Warren Joyce clashes with Crewe goalkeeper Paul Edwards

Chances came and went at both ends, Kelly saving well from Clayton.

Then Shaw headed wide from a Bogie cross.

North End went down to 10 men after a long clearance out of the Crewe defence was chased by Hughes and Clayton.

As the pair tussled for the ball Hughes pulled Clayton to the floor and referee Peter Jones reached for the red card, deeming Hughes’ actions a professional foul.

Preston winger Brian Mooney takes on a Crewe defender

Despite the numerical disadvantage, North End regained the lead in the 47th minute.

Playing into a strong wind, a Bogie corner was carried against the bar and when the ball bounced down, Shaw forced it over the line from close range.

It was striker Shaw’s first league goal of the season, his previous two goals coming in the League Cup and the Leyland Daf Cup.

PNE were playing with plenty of confidence, Mooney at the source of many attacks down the right-wing.

Gary Swann had a shot saved and Shaw saw a shot scrambled off the line after a ninth PNE corner of the game had arrived in the box.

So it was hreatbreaking when Crewe equalised in the 83rd minute, Aaron Callaghan’s cross laid off by Andy Sussex into the path of Aidan Murphy who rifled a shot into the roof of the net.

In stoppage-time, Shaw cleared off the line from a Callaghan shot – the chance coming after Gardiner had rattled the bar.

PNE: Kelly, Williams, Flynn, Hughes, Wrightson, Swann, Senior, Bogie, Joyce, Mooney, Shaw. Subs (not used): Harper, Peel.

Attendance: 4,405