Victory for Preston North End at Chester when Mickey Norbury played as an emergency goalkeeper

Preston North End's clash with Chester City at the Deva Stadium in January 1993 was an eventful one.

Thursday, 4th June 2020, 2:58 pm
Updated Thursday, 4th June 2020, 3:00 pm
Mickey Norbury, far left, volleys Preston North End in front at Chester in January 1993

The Lilywhites won 4-2 in the Tuesday night game, with goals from Mickey Norbury, Mike Flynn, Tony Ellis and David Flitcroft.

Striker Norbury, scorer of first goal, was to play the closing stages of the game as an emergency goalkeeper after Simon Farnworth suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder.

In the days of just two substitutes, teams rarely had a keeper on the bench so Norbury took the gloves and kept a clean sheet in his few minutes between the sticks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mike Flynn scores Preston's second goal at Chester

In fact North End scored their fourth goal at the other end while Norbury had the keeper's jersey on.

This was a second win on the bounce for John Beck's men, something of a lift for Beck who had taken over in December and not enjoyed the best of starts.

PNE made a bright start at the Deva, Ellis sweeping a shot against the bar in the 11th minute from Flynn's cross.

John Tinkler saw a shot saved and Martin James tested Chester keeper Billy Stewart with a fierce drive.

Goalmouth action from PNE's 4-2 win at Chester in January 1993

North End took a 22nd minute lead, Norbury volleying home from just inside the box after a corner from Richard Lucas had been punched out of the goalmouth by Stewart.

The advantage was short-lived, former PNE winger David Thompson going down in the box after being sandwiched between Lucas and Shaun Garnett.

Referee Colin Trussell awarded a penalty and Stuart Rimmer beat Farnworth from the spot.

Rimmer had been subject of a failed transfer bid by North End the previous week.

David Flitcroft jumps to celebrate after scoring Preston's fourth goal at Chester

Preston regained the lead seven minutes after half-time, Flynn bundling the ball over the line at the far post after Stewart had fumbled James' corner.

But again Chester quickly equalised and against Rimmer was the scorer.

A pass from City's player-manager Graham Barrow played Rimmer into the box and the striker lifted a shot over Farnworth.

Just after the hour mark and shortly after the influential Flynn had limped off with an injury, Farnworth hurt his shoulder in a challenge with Paul Wheeler.

The keeper had four minutes of treatment before being able to continue, albeit in some discomfort.

North End went back into the lead for a third time in the 80th minute with the goal of the night.

Farnworth's goalkick was chested down by Ellis who turned the ball into the path of Lee Cartwright.

Taking the return pass, Ellis let fly with a superb shot from the right channel which dipped over Stewart and into the net.

Soon after that, Farnworth took another bang on the shoulder and this time signalled that he couldn't continue.

The pain from his shoulder meant he couldn't get his goalkeeper's top off and a a spare one was brought from the dressing room to give to Norbury.

Simon Burton came off the bench and took Norbury's place up front.

Chester pushed forward looking for another equaliser but it was Preston who had the last word three minutes into stoppage-time.

Young substitute Flitcroft collected possession 40 yards out and pushed forward looking for support.

But with no support forthcoming, the midfielder let fly with a shot which flew into the net to clinch victory to the delight of 1,000 travelling PNE fans.

PNE: Farnworth (Burton 83), Tinkler, Callaghan, Garnett, Lucas, Carwright, Ainsworth, Flynn (Flitcroft 61), James, Norbury, Ellis.

Attedance: 2,901