Looking back: Preston North End's FA Cup replay win over Enfield in 1999

Preston North End had their work cut out to get the better of Ryman League side Enfield in the FA Cup in November 1999.

By Dave Seddon
Tuesday, 13th October 2020, 3:00 pm

In fact, it took David Moyes’ men 143 minutes to breach the Enfield defence.

The first meeting of the sides ended in a goalless draw at Deepdale, meaning a midweek trip to St Albans where Enfield were playing at the time.

Not until the 53rd minute of the replay did North End make the breakthrough and go on to win the second round clash 3-0

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Bjarki Gunnlaugsson celebrates with the Preston North End fans after scoring against Enfield in the FA Cup in November 1999

David Eyres, Graham Alexander and Bjarki Gunnlaugsson found the net.

PNE boss Moyes admitted that some harsh words from him were needed during the interval to get his side going.

“I told one or two of them they had to have a good look at themselves,” said Moyes as he reflected on the replay.

His Enfield counterpart Jim Chandler said: “We gave Preston a fair run for their money, but in the end their class showed through.”

Graham Aelxander scores for PNE from the penalty spot against Enfield

First-half chances fell to Eyres and Jonathan Macken as North End looked to get on the front foot.

Kurt Nogan put a glancing header against the bar, but the sides went in at half-time on level pegging.

Signs of a Moyes blast over the interval tea were evident just 45 seconds into the second half.

Nogan played the ball into Macken’s path, the striker flashing a shot just wide.

PNE centre-half Michael Jackson sends a header over the bar after getting the better of the Enfield goalkeeper

The stalemate was finally broken when North End won a corner on the right.

Alexander rolled it low to Eyres on the edge of the box, and he drilled a low finish into the net.

Enfield almost grabbed a quick equaliser, John Moran’s shot travelling just wide of the target.

The game was effectively ended as a contest after an hour when the Lilywhites scored their second.

PNE striker Alex Mathie makes a challenge against Enfield

Julian Darby’s cross was punched out by the Enfield keeper as far as Eyres.

His shot was blocked, the ball falling into the path of Nogan who fired goalwards.

That shot was handled on the line by Lee Protheroe, resulting in referee Paul Rejer pointing to the spot and then showing the Enfield defender a red card.

Alexander drove the penalty low into the net past the keeper who had guessed the right way.

Moyes introduced Alex Mathie and Gunnlaugsson from the bench in the 64th minute in place of Eyres and Macken.

There as a short delay in Mathie coming on though, the striker having left his shirt in the dressing room.

Gunnlaugsson missed a great chance soon after coming on, North End having broken three versus three on the counter attack.

The Icelandic striker was to get on the scoresheet in the 83rd minute though.

Michael Appleton’s pass found him in the box, Gunnlaugsson turning on a sixpence to fire a shot home via the inside of the post.

PNE: Moilanen, Alexander, Jackson (Murdock 74), Kidd, Edwards, Darby, Appleton, Gregan, Eyres (Gunnlaugsson 64), Nogan, Macken (Mathie 64). Subs (Not used): Diaf, Lucas