Match report: Burnley 0 PNE 2

PNE manager Simon Grayson
PNE manager Simon Grayson
Have your say

Second-half goals from Will Keane and Daniel Johnson gave Preston North End victory over Lancashire rivals Burnley at Turf Moor.

Keane's goal, his first in the league for the Lilywhites, came on the day when he was playing against his twin brother Michael who was in the centre of the Clarets defence.

The striker, on loan from Manchester United, netted in the 64th minute to give North End the lead, running clear from just inside the Burnley half to fire home.

Johnson doubled the advantage with four minutes left, turning home a low cross from Joe Garner.

Keane's inclusion at the expense of Eoin Doyle in the Preston attack was the one change made by Simon Grayson to the side which had drawn at Fulham.

Grayson stuck with the 3-5-2 system which served them well at Fulham the week before, with Tom Clarke, Paul Huntington and Greg Cunningham forming the back three.

North End had plenty of defending to do in the opening 10 minutes as Burnley started strongly.

But the closest the hosts were to come in that spell was a low angled shot from Ben Mee which travelled across the six-yard box and wide of the back post.

As the first half went on, PNE began to get more of a foothold in the contest.

A long throw-in from Marnick Vermijl found its way to Keane whose header bounced against Tendayi Darikwa, with Michael Keane heading the loose ball behind for a corner.

In the 22nd minute, Burnley attacked on the break, Andre Gray's cross from the right finding Joey Barton free at the far post but the midfielder sliced his volley well wide.

North End enjoyed a good spell of pressure after that, going close a couple of times.

Johnson threaded a low ball in from the right to Clarke who had stayed up after a corner, the skipper's shot hitting Darikwa and looping behind.

Then a fine pass from Johnson released Adam Reach down the left-wing, his low cross cleared by Michael Keane against Will Keane, with the ball going over the bar.

At the other end, North End keeper Jordan Pickford produced a fine save to deny Sam Vokes.

The Welsh striker was found by a cross from the right-wing, his volley pushed up against the bar by Pickford, with Paul Gallagher clearing as it bounced back into play.

In the run-up to the interval, Gray hooked a shot on the turn over the bar, while Alan Browne saw a shot charged down in the box.

Browne had the second period's first chance, a Keane flick-on catching on the wind and eventually falling to the Irishman who sent a volley straight at keeper Tom Heaton.

Pickford produced another good save in the 57th minute, scrambling across his goal to get down low to a Barton free-kick and push it behind.

North End took the lead with 64 minutes on the clock, Clarke's superb challenge on Vokes in the centre circle setting things in motion.

The ball broke forward to Keane just inside the Burnley half, the striker advancing towards the box as the home defence backed off.

Once inside the box, Keane went past Duff and hit a right-foot shot from 14 yards which went through his brother's legs and under Heaton.

As PNE looked for a second, Garner met a cross from Johnson and hit a shot on the turn which flew high over the bar.

Vokes fired a shot at Pickford after Paul Huntington's attempted clearance across the face of the box had let the striker in.

Johnson curled a shot from 20 yards just wide of the far post before Preston sealed victory with four minutes left.

Reach dropped a pass over the Clarets defence down the inside left channel which Garner went out wide to chase.

He cut inside into the box and pulled the ball back for Johnson to sweep a low shot across the keeper into the far corner.

It sparked wild scenes in the Cricket Field Stand at the other end of the ground where North End's 2,399 travelling fans were housed.

They saw out the remainder of the game - including five minutes of stoppage-time - pretty comfortably to claim their first win at Turf Moor since December 2007.

Burnley: Heaton, Darikwa (Lowton 77), Duff, Keane, Mee, Boyd (Taylor 71), Barton, Jones, Arfield (Kightly 77), Vokes, Gray. Subs not used: Ward, Marney,, Hennings, Gilks.

PNE: Pickford, Clarke, Huntington, Cunningham, Vermijl, Johnson (Welsh 90), Gallagher, Browne, Reach, Keane (Hugill 78), Garner. Subs not used: Kilkenny, Woods, Brownhill, Doyle, Kirkland

Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire)

Attendance: 18,614 (2,399 PNE)