Roe strikes keep Garstang top

Gastang Ladies 2nds line up prior to kick-off
Gastang Ladies 2nds line up prior to kick-off
Share this article
Have your say

Garstang 1sts thrashed local rivals Preston Ladies 2nds 4-0 to cement their place at the top of the Lancahsire Women’s Hockey Association Premier Division.

A Di Roe double sealed Garstang’s victory at Preston’s home ground Westcliffe.

The two could not be separated in the early exchanges but Garstang soon began to find the cracks.

Catherine Godbold was strong up front.

But Garstang took the lead in the 20th minute as a slick team move resulted in Roe slotting home from close range.

The second goal came soon after when the ball fell kindly for Fran Summers, who controlled the ball at the top of the D and smashed it high into the roof of the net.

Garstang invited pressure at the start of the second half and Preston got a handful of penalty corners.

But the backline and goalkeeper Sarah Skelton held firm.

And Garstang soon put the game beyond reach when Alice Matthews converted a penalty, corner firing it into the left corner.

But this was not enough for Garstang and Roe bagged her second as she deflected Matthews’ strike into the 

Meanwhile, Garstang Ladies 2nds increased the gap between themselves and Windermere in the LCWHA Second Division table after a convincing 3-0 victory over the Cumbrians.

Before the clash, Windermere were a point behind the Reds but Garstang ensured they maintained fourth place.

Windermere stated well but Garstang managed to handle the threat and create numerous good chances of their own.

Despite winning a penalty corner and having the majority of the possession, Garstang could not get on the scoresheet.

Garstang’s Rachel Roe nearly opened the scoring as her cross was deflected off the line by the keeper’s glove.

Although Garstang maintained the majority of the possession, Windermere did manage to get some good breaks in the first half.

Windermere even managed to get the ball through keeper Zoe Mather’s legs but fortunately for Garstang, sweeper Georgie Hampson nipped in to clear the danger.

The Reds finally opened the scoring five minutes into the second half through a penalty corner.

The straight strike was rebounded and Helen Mather managed to push the ball over the line – the umpire did not award a goal – but Olivia Mason pounced on the loose ball and opened the scoring.

Windermere went up the other end and won a penalty corner but Wendy Howarth teed up Roe, who added the second.

And moments later Roe doubled her tally after latching on to Georgie Hampson’s through ball.