Revenge for Garstang

Alice Matthews on the ball for Garstang ladies against Blackpool
Alice Matthews on the ball for Garstang ladies against Blackpool
Have your say

With an immediate opportunity to put right the previous week’s disappointing draw against Blackpool ladies 1sts, Garstang Hockey Club ladies 1sts came away with a 3-1 victory in the first round of the Caley Trophy.

Garstang started strongly with clean passing from defence to attack, resulting in solid possession and a high percentage of play.

Several chances resulted from the Reds’ pressure, with a number of shots from Alice Matthews, all just narrowly missing the goal.

Garstang continued to press hard, with Diane Roe battling down the right, linking well with Lyndsey Hayes and Niki Oddie.

However, as the whistle for half-time was heard Garstang had failed to capitalise on any of their good passages of play or penalty corners and went into the break all square at 0-0.

Blackpool regrouped and began the second half with vigour and energy.

They pressured the Garstang defence, resulting in several penalty corners.

Reds’ keeper Sarah Skelton was steadfast and solid until a goalmouth scramble saw Blackpool take the lead.

With the fear of cup defeat looming and a break in play for an injury, Garstang stepped up a gear with Josie Rice commanding in attack, punishing the Blackpool defence and forcing a penalty corner.

Once that was taken, Matthews fired the ball in to the back of the Blackpool net to equalise.

This was just the push Garstang needed and a second goal followed shortly afterwards, as Roe tussled on the goal-line, forcing the ball home.

Blackpool came back, attacking hard, with one shot at goal ricocheting high off the Garstang post.

The Reds’ defence remained tight and a break from Donna Richardson resulted in a pass down the right line to Matthews.

Her bullet cross found Fran Summers and with deft and casual control, she guided the ball into the Blackpool goal to add the decisive third