Reds seal the title with Worthy win

Garstang 2nds earned promotion ' and the title ' with victory against Brookfields 1sts
Garstang 2nds earned promotion ' and the title ' with victory against Brookfields 1sts
Have your say

Garstang ladies 1sts earned promotion by thumping Southport 1sts 6-0.

The unbeaten Reds clinched the Lancashire Central Women’s Hockey Association Premier Division title in style.

Young hot-shot Rebecca Worthington bagged a hat-trick and Di Roe, Fran Summers and Catherine Godbold completed the rout.

Hosts Southport won the first push-back but Garstang pressed strongly and quickly gained possession.

Roe opened the scoring with a sweeping strike from the right of the D.

Garstang won a penalty corner and Summers sent the ball flying into the back of 
the net.

Lindsay Thornhill powered the ball into the D and Worthington smashed the ball through the keeper’s legs.

Worthington increased her tally just before the break as she skilfully deflected Alice Matthews’ shot home.

In the second half, Garstang bagged another two more goals.

Godbold sprinted down the right to score a slick solo goal.

And Worthington (below) completed her hat-trick moments later.

Southport won a penalty corner just as the final whistle was blown.

But the Garstang defence dealt with it quickly playing the ball off the side of the pitch.

The three points ensured Garstang sealed promotion to North West Division Two.

Garstang ladies 2nds sealed promotion with a 2-0 victory over Brookfields 1sts.

The Reds’ home victory helped them clinch second spot in the Lancashire Central Women’s Hockey Association Division Two table.

Garstang made a good start but Brookfields had a goal disallowed in the seventh minute.

Olivia Mason was inches away from opening the scoring for the Reds in the 12th minute. Defender Ellie Moss made a good clearance to thwart a Brookfields attack.

Brookfields won a penalty corner in the 18th minute but despite fluffing the stop at the top of the D, the visitors made a fast counter-attack and nearly broke the deadlock.

Garstang keeper Zoe Mather made an excellent left-foot save on her post.

The first 45 minutes petered out into a goalless stalemate.

In the second half, Garstang came out of the blocks early and after a quiet first half Julie Nightingale started to make strong runs up the right wing, linking up with sisters Stephanie Roe and Rachel Roe.

Brookfields countered but Ellie Harrison ran 50 metres to catch the ball near the backline and deny Brookfields.

Stephanie Roe and Nightingale’s pace started to put Brookfields on the back foot and they conceded space for Wendy Howarth and Rachel Roe.

A series of slick one-touch passes led to Howarth smashing the ball into the back of the net in the 47th minute.

Five minutes later, Rachel Roe came near to scoring at the end of another good speedy attack. Brookfields launched a fightback but some excellent blocking groundwork by keeper Zoe Mather stopped the visitors bagging an equaliser.

Jemma Hampson cleared and Nightingale surged up the wing and won another penalty corner.

The Reds failed to convert the set-piece but upped the ante in search of a second 

Garstang pressed and, with five minutes to go, Rachel Roe latched on to a fierce cross and fired the ball home to ensure the Reds earned promotion back to Division One.