Garstang rally to progress in cup

Lyndsey Hayes scoring for Garstang 1sts again Leyland and Chorley ladies 1sts
Lyndsey Hayes scoring for Garstang 1sts again Leyland and Chorley ladies 1sts
Have your say

Garstang ladies survived an early scare to knock lower league opposition Leyland and Chorley ladies 1sts out of the Caley Cup.

The LCWHA Premier Division outfit were nearly victims of a cup upset as unbeaten LCWHA Divsion One league leaders L&C took an early lead.

But Garstang fought back to sail through to the semi-finals of the cup after eventually beating visitors Leyland 4-1.

Much to Garstang’s frustration chances were not converted in the opening stages and L&C’s captain Sarah King capitalised on a defensive mis-pass to fire the ball into an open net.

Garstang refocused and Fran Summers equalised after a great passing move by Debs Huyton, Di Roe and Catherine Godbold cut open the visitors.

The hosts were off balance throughout the entire first half with a lot mis-placed passes and they went in at the break level with the visitors.

But after a re-group and refocus from captain Lindsay Thornhill and coach Dave Gee, Garstang started the second half with gusto.

Catherine Godbold won a penalty corner and Lyndsey Hayes converted it in style.

Another set-piece fell Garstang’s way and Summers’ fierce strike rippled the right-hand corner of goal.

L&C launched a fight back of their own but they were thwarted by Garstang’s in-form keeper Sarah Skelton who made two fantastic saves.

Despite Leyland’s pressure, Garstang settled the tie with a slick counter-attack.

Godbold intercepted L&C’s 16-yard hit, stormed towards goal and fired the ball into the net from the top of the D to crush any hopes of a late Leyland comeback.

Garstang ladies 2nds beat title rivals Lancaster and Morecambe 2nds 1-0 to secure a place in the Lishman Plate semi-finals.

The Reds are second in the LCWHA Division Two table but came away with a mental advantage after beating L&M in their own back yard.

Garstang erased memories of an early-season 3-0 league defeat to the table toppers in windy conditions at Lancaster University.

Helen Mather squandered a chance to open the scoring as she fired straight at L&M’s keeper.

But after an uneventful first half Garstang stepped up the pace after the break moving the ball quickly around the pitch with fast, accurate passing.

The scores were level with 15 minutes to go but as penalties loomed Garstang broke the deadlock.

Jemma Hampson held the ball up in the circle before teeing up Wendy Howarth who fired home.

Garstang had a late scare when a fierce clearance from L&M’s defence nearly set an attacker one-on-one with Garstang’s keeper.

But Zoe Mather was alert to the danger and just beat the chasing forward to the ball on the edge of Garstang’s D.