Garstang finish season with perfect record

Garstang ladies 1sts celebrate winning the LWCHA Premier Division title
Garstang ladies 1sts celebrate winning the LWCHA Premier Division title
Have your say

GARSTANG ladies 1sts ended the season with a 100% record after thrashing Blackpool 2nds 8-0 at home.

The Reds were crowned champions of the Lancashire Women’s Central Hockey Association Premier Division last weekend and showed no mercy by putting relegated Blackpool to the sword.

It only took 60 seconds for Fran Summers to latch on to to a through ball from Josie Rice to open the scoring.

Catherine Godbold drove forward to the top of Blackpool’s danger area, drew the defender and selflessly passed to the right for an unmarked Di Roe to fire in Garstang’s second.

Rebecca Worthington added a third soon after. And Alice Matthews converted Garstang’s first penalty corner with an unstoppable shot from the top of the D.

Matthews doubled her 
tally after the break as she 
fired home from another set-piece.

Defender Debs Huyton stormed forward and teed up Godbold in the D with a 
pinpoint pass.

Gobold made time and space for herself before unleashing a fierce reverse-strike from a tight angle that squeezed inside the left-hand post.

Central midfielder Rice pounced on Worthington’s cross in from the right and sent the ball crashing into the back of the net with a first-time sweep.

The final goal stemmed from some excellent team passing play.

The slick movement culminated in Summers outwitting the keeper and the last defender, who, despite her on-the-line efforts, could just not keep the ball out.

Garstang 2nds also ended the season in style by beating local rivals Preston 3rds 4-1.

The Reds sealed promotion from the Lancashire Central Women’s Hockey Association Division Two and started brightly, opening the scoring in the 15th minute.

Jemma Hampson teed up Wendy Howarth, who split Preston’s defence with a superb pass across the D for Rachael Roe to fire home.

Buoyed by the goal, Garstang started to create more clear-cut chances as several crosses just evaded the necessary tap-in at the far post.

Captain Helen Mather set up Roe with an inch-perfect cross and the forward went agonisingly close to doubling her tally.

With Garstang’s defence playing high up the pitch, frequent rolling substitutions gave attack-minded midfielders and defenders chances to drive forwards and increase the pressure

But Preston fought back just before the break and levelled the scores with a slick counter-attacking move. One of the host’s speedy young forwards managed to run on to a speculative through ball and keeper Zoe Mather could not get a strong enough contact to keep it out.

Preston started the second half in lively fashion but Zoe Mather smothered the threat.

Garstang soon re-established their superiority and scored from their first penalty corner of the match as Helen Mather’s fierce strike was deflected home.

With 10 minutes to go, Georgie Hampson burst through on the right and fired home from a tight angle.

Hampson scored a carbon copy goal two minutes later to give Garstang a 4-1 victory and local bragging rights.