FULL TIME Preston North End 2 Gillingham 0

Jeffrey Monakana celebrates scoring the first goal during the Preston North End v Gillingham FA Cup Second Round match at Deepdale
Jeffrey Monakana celebrates scoring the first goal during the Preston North End v Gillingham FA Cup Second Round match at Deepdale
Share this article
Have your say

Goals from Jeffrey Monakana and Stuart Beavon eased Preston North End past Gillingham and into the third round of the FA Cup.

Monakana struck in the 12th minute, with Beavon capitalising on good work from Lee Holmes to double the lead seven minutes before half-time.

While North End had the better of the play, there were still some anxious moments, notably a penalty miss from Deon Burton just a minute into the second half.

Burton struck his spot kick against the post after John Welsh had been penalised for hand ball.

Thorsten Stuckmann made two good saves from Romain Vincelot and Burton after being recalled to the side.

Beavon hit the post in the second half as North End pressed for a third, while Monakana had an effort disallowed.

Graham Westley had made four changes to the North End side.

Stuckmann, Monakana, Shane Cansdell-Sherrif and John Mousinho returned to the starting XI.

North End took a 12th minute lead, a foul on Holmes by Adam Barrett bringing the hosts a free-kick on the right and earning the Gills skipper a yellow card.

Holmes delivered the free-kick into the box, Paul Huntington climbing at the far post and seeing his header blocked.

Chris Robertson swung and missed at the rebound, the ball falling to Monakana whose shot from 12 yards clipped off a Gills defender and spun past keeper Tommy Forecast.

Soon after the goal, Holmes put an effort from outside the box over the bar, then Beavon glanced a header wide of the far post after being picked out by Monakana.

The visitors were denied an equaliser by a fine save from Stuckmann in the 22nd minute, the big German diving full length to hold Romain Vincelot’s first-time shot from 20 yards.

North End should have doubled their lead, Monakana making a fine run on the left from his own half before playing in Beavon.

After initially miscontrolling the ball, Beavon regained his composure and let fly with a right-foot drive which Forecast parried away.

In the 37th minute, a low cross from Gills right-back Matt Fish flashed across the face of the goal with Burton inches away from making contact at the back post after sliding in.

Within sixty seconds of that chance, PNE doubled their advantage at the other end, the goal owing much to Holmes’ determination.

He bore down on Forecast as he attempted to deal with a backpass, the keeper’s clearance hitting Holmes and spinning across the box to Beavon who slotted home a calm finish from 15 yards.

The second half was only 22 seconds old when referee Trevor Kettle pointed to the spot after Welsh blocked a shot with his arm.

Burton stepped up but struck his penalty against the foot of the post with the ball bouncing clear.

Monakana raced clear on goal soon after, his run ended just outside the box after getting a shove from Gills substitute Chris Whelpdale.

Incredibly the referee waved play on, much to the annoyance of the PNE teenager and frustration of the home fans.

Beavon struck the woodwork in the 50th minute, his shot on the turn from Monakana’s pass bouncing back off the far post.

Four minutes later Stuckmann produced a fine save to deny Burton, the keeper diving and stretching out his left glove to tip the veteran striker’s curling shot behind.

PNE should have added to their lead with 57 minutes on the clock, Mousinho all set to turn a Monakana cross home until substitute Jack King got on his way and the skipper’s shot looped wide.

North End the ball in the net when Monakana fired into an empty net after Forecast spilled a shot under pressure from Beavon.

But Mr Kettle disallowed it, ruling Beavon had kicked the ball out of the keeper’s hands during their tangle.

Lee Trundle was introduced as a 90th minute substitute, it being the striker’s first piece of action since undergoing knee surgery in pre-season.

PNE: Stuckmann, Kane, Huntington, Robertson, Cansdell-Sherriff, Monakana (Trundle 90), Wroe (King 46), Welsh, Holmes, Mousinho (Procter 74), Beavon. Unused subs: Sodje, Byrom, Hayhurst, Simonsen.

Gillingham: Forecast, Fish, Davies (Whelpdale 46), Barrett, Martin (Lee 46), Allen, Montrose, Vincelot, Weston, Birchall, Burton (Kedwell 68). Unused subs: Strevens, Jackman, Frampton, Flitney.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Berkshire)