Former Manchester United defender Phil Neville believes this summer’s big spending by the Red Devils will need to be repeated in future transfer windows before the club can again be seen as title contenders.
Last season’s seventh-placed finish in the Premier League led new coach Louis van Gaal, appointed in place of David Moyes, to splash out more than £150m on Angel di Maria, Luke Shaw, Ander Herrera, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind and loan signing Radamel Falcao,.
Absent from that list, though, was an out-and-out central defender.
And Neville believes that is the biggest issue still to be addressed.
“I know United have spent £150m,” he said.
“I think there’s another two transfer windows of similar amounts of money needed – maybe £100m – before they can even think about winning the title.”
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists he has “no concerns whatsoever” about Reds captain Steven Gerrard’s performance level.
Gerrard, who retired from international duty over the summer after skippering England during their poor World Cup campaign in Brazil, struggled to make an impact in his club’s 3-1 defeat at West Ham on Saturday.
The 34-year-old midfielder has played every minute for Liverpool so far this season – in which they have lost three of their opening five league games.
And since last weekend’s match there have been questions over his ability to still handle the demands upon him.
But Rodgers said: “He is a brilliant player for us, really talented.
“It was a team performance overall that just wasn’t quite up to scratch.”
Gary Lineker has reacted to reports that he is to be warned over foul-mouthed tweets during Leicester’s stunning comeback against Manchester United with another expletive in a post on Monday night.
The Match of the Day presenter took to the social networking site to reject claims that he has been warned by the BBC over comments made in the course of his former club’s amazing 5-3 win.
Lineker followed that denial by posting: “Anyway enough of that! I’m done swearing until Leicester beat Manchester...f******...City.”
Qatar World Cup chiefs have hit back at claims the 2022 finals could be moved to a different country due to the heat.
Germany’s FIFA member Theo Zwanziger believes the 2022 World Cup will be moved from Qatar due to the extreme temperatures and the threat of legal action.
FIFA has always stressed the World Cup will be in Qatar but is currently looking at moving the dates to the winter.
Tournament organisers insist the only question is ‘when’ it will be held in Qatar and not ‘if’.