Preston North End have reaffirmed that their new training ground at Ingol will be built amid fresh fears among supporters that the project had stalled.
ALSO READ: Planning battles, a fan petition and more - Our timeline of Preston North End's Ingol training ground plan
At a fans’ forum on Monday evening, supporters were left with an uneasy feeling that the plans were on hold.
But PNE chief executive John Kay has told the Post that it remains on course, with club owner Trevor Hemmings committed to building and financing it.
The Lancashire Post asked for clarity from North End officials over the plans for which planning permission was granted last August.
Fans played a big part in that process, throwing their weight behind the project with a petition and social media campaign.
The new facility will be built on the site of the former Ingol Golf Club.
Kay said there remained some amendments to be approved, that something he mentioned at the forum.
“There are a few hurdles in the planning process to clear but I want to reaffirm that we are committed to delivering the training ground,” said Kay.
“Mr Hemmings is fully behind the project, we have spoken about the matter since the fans’ forum and he has reaffirmed that.
“We are following a due process which includes some minor amendments to the original planning consent.
“What we do ask the fans for is their patience and we do fully recognise the part they played in this.”
It was two years ago that North End released their plan to build the training ground.
The facility includes four full-sized grass pitches and an indoor pitch.
That was put before the city council’s planning committee in June last year.
The training ground side of the application was approved but the accompanying plan for 450 houses was rejected.
A resubmitted application was approved two months later.
The land on which the training ground will be built has been fenced off.