Preston 3 Yeovil Town 0

Have your say

Joel Byrom replaced the suspended John Welsh in Preston North End’s midfield for their FA Cup first round clash with Yeovil Town at Deepdale.

Preston North End eased into the second round of the FA Cup with a comfortable victory over Yeovil Town at Deepdale.

Two goals in two minutes towards the end of the first half put PNE in the driving seat, Joel Byrom and substitute David Amoo on target.

Yeovil midfielder Ed Upson was sent-off for the second time at Deepdale this season, seeing red in the 63rd minute for a lunge at Byrom.

And North End took advantage of the extra man as Chris Robertson headed home their third after 70 minutes.

Byrom had replaced the suspended John Welsh in the centre of midfield.

It was the only change made to the side which had started last Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Tranmere Rovers.

On the bench there was a return to the squad for Lee Holmes after two months on the sidelines with a knee injury sustained when he collided with an advertising board in August’s visit to Bournemouth.

And he was to get a 20-minute run out to help regain his match fitness.

In Welsh’s absence and with John Mousinho still absent, right-back Keith Keane was handed the captain’s armband.

Byrom and Shane Cansdell-Sherriff both put efforts wide in the first four minutes, while Paddy Madden drove a 25-yard shot inches over the bar as the visitors mounted their first attack of the contest.

North End lost the services of Cansdell-Sherriff to a thigh injury in the 10th minute, Amoo coming on to play on the left-wing with Scott Laird moving to left-back.

Twice in the in the space of four minutes, decent chances fell the way of Madden as Yeovil pushed forward and caught their hosts on the counter attack.

A Gavin Williams pass from midfield found James Hayter, he in turn playing the ball out to Madden on the right side of the box.

The Irish striker took a touch before hitting a right-foot shot which Steve Simonsen dived to push round the near post.

Then in the 19th minute, a gap opened up in the PNE back four, Madden bursting through in the box but driving a low shot wide.

Jeffrey Monakana’s right-wing cross found its way to King at the back post, but he headed across the face of goal and the chance went begging.

North End broke the deadlock in the 38th minute, King turning in space in midfield and sliding a pass between fthe Yeovil central defenders for Byrom to run clear into the box and tuck a right-foot shot through the legs of keeper Marek Stech.

It was a lead they quickly doubled, Nicky Wroe’s slide rule ball sending Amoo clear.

The substitute still had plenty of work to do, holding off the challenge of Richard Hinds before rounding Stech and rolling a shot into the net from 12 yards.

With the three minutes of first-half stoppage time almost up, Yeovil twice had efforts blocked on the line in a goalmouth scramble.

Keith Keane blocked Keanu Marsh-Brown’s shot and Sam Foley’s follow-up struck Paul Huntington before the ball was cleared out of the box.

Less than two minutes into the second half, Monakana low drive deflected off Jamie McAllister and into the gloves of Stech.

In the 52nd minute, former Yeovil skipper Huntington went into the book for a challenge on Hayter as they clashed going for a half-hit clearance from Simonsen.

North End broke on the counter attack after clearing the resulting free-kick, Amoo’s cross from the left looping to Wroe in the box.

He laid if back to King who curled a first-time shot wide.

Madden’s volley from the edge of the box brought a diving save out of Simonsen, although it looked like the ball would have travelled just the wrong side of the box anyway.

Yeovil were reduced to 10 men in the 63rd minute, Upson’s lunge at Byrom as he tried to reach a pass from substitute Reuben Reid earning him a straight red card from referee Andy Haines.

It was the second time this season the midfielder had received his marching orders at Deepdale, having been sent for an early bath in the league meeting in September.

North End netted their third goal in the 70th minute, Robertson and Hayter rising together to challenge for Laird’s corner, the ball flying into the roof of the net.

The PNE centre-half claimed it, and while it did appear to get a touch off Hayter, it was credited to Robertson.

As Yeovil looked for an unlikely way back into the game, Madden’s near post header was saved by the diving Simonsen.

PNE: Simonsen, Keane, Huntington, Robertson, Cansdell-Sherriff (Amoo 10), Monakana (Holmes 71), Wroe, Byrom (Procter 71), Laird, King, Beavon. Unused subs: Cummins, Sodje, Beardsley, Stuckmann.

Yeovil: Stech, Blizzard, Hinds (Haynes-Brown 88), Burn, McAllister, Marsh-Brown (Reid 62), Upson, Foley, Williams, Madden, Hayter. Unused subs: Ayling, Agbo, Brundle, Stewart.

Referee: Andy Haines (Sunderland)

Attendance: 4,757