Match report: Oldham 1 PNE 3

Jermaine Beckford in action for PNE at Oldham
Jermaine Beckford in action for PNE at Oldham

Preston returned to winning ways in their programme of pre-season friendlies, beating Oldham Athletic at a baking hot Boundary Park.

Eoin Doyle and Joe Garner (2) were on target in a contest marred by a serious looking injury to Calum Woods.
The right-back was stretchered off early in the game after being caught by Jamie Reckford's strong challenge.
Doyle gave North End the lead shortly after Woods had departed, the Irishman finishing well from Simon Makienok's pass.
Joe Garner, on as a second-half substitute, got on the end of a Chris Humphrey cross to head the second in the 70th minute.
An Oldham trialist pulled a goal back soon after before Garner wrapped-up the win from the penalty spot.
North End started in a 4-3-3 system, Callum Robinson, Makienok and Doyle across the front.
Their early attacking play set the tone for the remainder of the first half, the visitors very much in charge in terms of being on the front foot.
Inside three minutes, Robinson went past a couple of challenges down the left side of the box and stood up a cross for Makienok to meet in the box.
The Danish striker got up to send a header back across the keeper, the ball hitting the post.
A sweeping move on the counter-attack brought another sight of goal in the ninth minute, John Welsh setting the ball rolling when he won possession on the edge of his own box.
Welsh advanced up the pitch, playing in Doyle who took a touch before finding Makienok with a pass.
He took a touch but scuffed a low left-foot shot too close to keeper Connor Ripley who saved.
PNE lost the services of Wood in the 14th minute, the right-back caught by Reckford's robust challenge as they contested a ball on the half-way line.
Woods stayed down and a stretcher was quickly called for, his right leg the problem.
Humphrey got the call to replace him from the bench, slotting straight in at right-back.
North End took the lead in some style as the clock ticked into the 20th minute.
It was a move started just inside the Oldham half by Greg Cunningham, his pass finding Robinson who turned smartly and slid the ball up to Makienok.
The striker in turn squared it inside to Doyle who opened up his body and guided a first-time right-foot across Ripley from 15 yards.
Eager for more, Doyle tried his luck with a long-range curling shot which went straight at the keeper.
Robinson forced a diving save out of Ripley with a shot from the edge of the box, then Welsh hammered a volley wide as the Lilywhites kept the pressure on.
As half-time approached, North End broke on Oldham with Doyle leading the charge.
But with team-mates better placed either side of him, the Irishman chose to shoot and saw the effort go wide.
Oldham's only sight of goal of the first period came in the 44th minute, Cameron Burgess' curling cross dropping behind the PNE defence.
Josh Law met it on the stretch at the back post but could only knock a shot well wide.
The second half opened up with clear-cut chances at both ends in quick succession.
Half-time substitute Billy McKay found himself clear in the box but curled a shot past Chris Maxwell and wide of the far post.
Within sixty seconds at the other end, Luke Woodland's attempt to find his keeper with a header fell well short of its target.
Robinson nipped in but Ripley got down well to block his shot.
North End made five substitutions on the hour mark, the front three giving way to Garner, Jermaine Beckford and Jordan Hugill.
Paul Gallagher replaced Welsh in midfield and Paul Huntington took over from Bailey Wright at the back.
Woodland fired wide from 18 yards for Oldham after a strong run by the player identified only as 'Trialist' on the team sheet, teed him up.
Preston's second goal came in the 70th minute, set-up by Humphrey and scored by Garner.
Humphrey took a throw-in and collected the return pass from Alan Browne, before lifting a cross into the middle.
Garner got above his header to head it back across the keeper and into the net from eight yards.
Oldham briefly halved the deficit, and in some style too.
It was the man with no name who found the net, 'Trialist' taking a short corner on the left, getting the ball from Lee Croft, then cutting inside and rifling a shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.
But quickly, North End restored their two-goal cushion from the penalty spot.
Ben Davies' first contribution after coming on as a substitute was to launch a throw-in into the box which Garner flicked on.
Beckford latched on to it and was pulled back by centre-half Burgess, referee Oliver Langford pointing to the spot.
Garner stepped-up and dispatched a confidently struck penalty past Ripley.

Joe Garner heads home PNE's second goal at Oldham

Joe Garner heads home PNE's second goal at Oldham

Oldham: Ripley, Law (Mantack 60), Burgess, Clarke (Edmundson 73), Reckford, Flynn (Croft 60), Banks (Klok 46), Wilson (Woodland 46), Erwin (McKay 46), Cassidy (Winchester 63), Beautyman (Trialist 46). Subs: Brown, Stott, Kettings.

PNE: Maxwell, Woods (Humphrey 16), Clarke, Wright (Huntington 60), Cunningham (Davies 73), Browne, Welsh (Gallagher 60), Johnson (Smith 73), Doyle (Garner 60), Robinson (Beckford 60), Makienok (Hugill 60). Sub: Hudson.

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)