FA Youth Cup: PNE 1 Stoke City 3

PNE midfielder Oscar O'Neil has a first-half shot
PNE midfielder Oscar O'Neil has a first-half shot
Have your say

Preston North End's best run in the FA Youth Cup for more than half a century was ended by Stoke City at Deepdale.

A powerful Potters side had too much for the Lilywhites in this quarter-final clash, with their front two Jordan Greenidge and Tyrese Campbell a real handful.

Kian Smart rides a challenge against Stoke

Kian Smart rides a challenge against Stoke

Greenidge put Stoke ahead inside quarter of an hour, with Campbell doubling the lead just before half-time.

Campbell netted again in the second half, with Josh Earl pulling a goal back for North End nine minutes from the end.

North End started in a 4-3-3 system, striker Harry Garstang flanked by Alex Wood and Earl.

Stoke took a 14th minute lead, hesitancy at the back being North End's downfall.

PNE centre-half Jack Burgoyne goes in for a header

PNE centre-half Jack Burgoyne goes in for a header

Goalkeeper Callum Roberts came out his box to clear but took an extra touch as he was closed down by Campbell, his clearance intercepted by Greenidge who powered forward into the box and drilled the ball home.

North End had their best spell of the first half after that, a fine pass by Kian Smart playing Oscar O'Neil into space down the right, O'Neil's low cross just evading Garstang and Earl in the six-yard box.

Smart's header from Charlie Lyons' left-wing cross was parried by keeper Mate Deczki diving to his right.

A low centre from Earl found O'Neil at the near post in the 24th minute, the midfielder's shot on the turn catching a deflection and going behind for a corner.

Josh Earl is challenged by Tom Edwards

Josh Earl is challenged by Tom Edwards

Stoke hit back with Greenidge's shot on the turn from a tight angle hitting the bar and bouncing down to safety.

Campbell fired over the bar after getting the better of Cameron Day as they challenged for a bouncing ball, before the Potters got their second three minutes before the interval.

It was route one goal, Campbell latching on to a long ball from the back to run into the box, go round Day, before firing a low shot past Roberts.

Three minutes into the second half, Lyons lifted a cross into the middle which Earl climbed to meet and loop a header just over the bar and on to the top of the net.

At the other end, Stoke skipper Jake Dunwoody found himself with a bit of room to play in on the edge of the box but lifted his shot over the Preston bar.

The visitors made the tie safe in the 68th minute, North End caught out by a quickly taken throw-in down the right and when the ball was played into the box, Campbell had the simple task of tapping in at the far post.

Preston's consolation came in the 81st minute, Earl netting from close range after two shots had been blocked in a goalmouth scramble following a corner.

PNE: Roberts, Creech, Day, Burgoyne, Lyons, O'Neil, Smart (Mason 68), Wood (Howard 63), Meulensteen, Earl, Garstang (Barry 86). Subs (not used): Stead, Cottam.

Stoke: Deczki, Edwards, Souttar, De Silva, McJannet, Dunwoody, Balde (Twyford 72), Sorensen, Szereto, Greenidge, Campbell. Subs (not used): Read, Monteriro, Vazoumana, Allen..

Referee: Darren England (Barnsley)

Attendance: 1,747