MEMORY MATCH: Late show stuns Sam

Preston's Lee Cartwright slots the ball home against Bolton in a 2-2 draw at deepdale in 1992
Preston's Lee Cartwright slots the ball home against Bolton in a 2-2 draw at deepdale in 1992
Have your say

This weekend will not be the only time that Preston and Bolton have met on Halloween.

On October 31, 1992, the sides drew 2-2 on Deepdale’s plastic pitch,

It was a clash in the old Second Division – what is now League One – with a 7,013 crowd there to see it.

Sam Allardyce was PNE’s caretaker manager at the time, having been put in charge after the sacking of Les Chapman earlier that month.

Big Sam was at the helm for two-and-a-half months, a spell which covered 13 games.

That was a lengthy time for any caretaker to be holding the fort, longer than some permanent managers seem to get these days.

Going into this game with Bolton, the Lilywhites had hit a bit of form under Allardyce.

They had won two and drawn one of their previous four games, one of the victories being a 3-2 success at Blackpool.

Allardyce fielded a new strike partnership for Bolton’s visit, pairing new loan signing Colin Taylor with Tony Ellis.

Taylor was one of two PNE debutants, midfielder Deiniol Graham being the other.

North End started by far the stronger of the sides, Ellis toe-poking a shot just wide with only 23 seconds played.

They took a deserved lead in the 23rd minute, Ellis getting possession down the middle and turning the ball out to Graham on the right.

Graham, on loan from Barnsley, whipped a low cross into the box which Martin James drove into the net.

Within five minutes, PNE doubled their advantage.

Graham was the provider once more, turning up on the left-wing and picking out Lee Cartwright’s run with a fine diagonal pass.

In full flight, Cartwright brought the ball down, moved into the box before firing a low shot past Wanderers keeper Keith Branagan.

Ellis later forced Branagan into a good save and put a shot into the side netting.

North End were dominant yet victory was to evade them as Bolton saved their bacon with two late goals.

An ankle injury suffered by Ryan Kidd led to disruption in the PNE defence.

Kidd was stretchered off and only returned to action five months later.

Jonathan Davidson joined the action from the bench, with Aaron Callaghan slotting into Kidd’s place.

Nine minutes from time, the visitors halved the deficit, Scott Green holding off a challenge from Davidson to force Alan Stubbs’ flick-on over the line.

Then in the 87th minute, Green lifted a cross into the box for Alan Stubbs to head home Bolton’s equaliser at the far post.

Competitively, North End and Bolton have met only four times since that late October afternoon.

All four have gone in the favour of Bolton, two of their wins of extreme significance.

On the last day of that 1992/93 season, their 1-0 win relegated PNE.

In May 2001, Bolton beat Preston 3-0 in the play-off final at the Millennium Stadium.

That season, they had done the double over PNE, winning both league games 2-0.