Memory match: Boro v PNE

Preston North End's Billy Jones celebrates his equaliser at the Riverside Stadium in January 2011
Preston North End's Billy Jones celebrates his equaliser at the Riverside Stadium in January 2011
Have your say

Billy Jones staged a late rescue act to earn Preston a draw against Middlesbrough in their visit to the Riverside Stadium in January 2011.

The full-back headed home at the far post two minutes from time, whipping off his shirt in celebration.

Boro had led from the 70th minute, skipper Matthew Bates finding the net with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area.

This was Phil Brown’s third game in charge of North End, having succeeded Darren Ferguson.

The first two games of his tenure had seen them lose 2-1 to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup and draw 1-1 with Leicester City.

It was a slow burner of a game, with little to excite either set of supporters in the opening exchanges.

Boro striker Kris Boyd sent a tame shot wide, while an effort from Gary O’Neil spun off North End centre-half Sean St Ledger and behind for a corner.

St Ledger had previously been on loan at Boro, with a view to a £4.5m permanent switch to Teesside.

But the proposed move fell through in December 2009, the defender having been reluctant to complete the transfer.

North End’s first chance of the game came just after the half-hour mark, Darel Russell’s pass finding Paul Parry.

The winger tried his luck from 25 yards, Boro keeper Jason Steele diving to push it past the post.

Andrew Lonergan kept the scoreline blank five minutes before the break with a good double save.

He dived to parry Barry Robson’s long-range drive and then blocked the follow-up from Leroy Lita who had been first to the rebound.

Iain Hume and Parry both had chances before half-time as PNE grew in confidence.

After the interval, Leon Cort put a header the wrong side of the post after meeting Barry Nicholson’s corner.

Steele saved from Jones, while, at the other end, Lonergan got down low to hold a Marvin Emnes shot at the foot of the near post.

Substitute Emnes wasted a great chance for Boro when Andrew Taylor’s pass sent him through on goal.

But with only Lonergan to beat, Emnes poked his shot wide of the target.

Boro broke the deadlock when Bates was allowed to stride towards the Preston box unchecked.

He hit a low shot from 18 yards which appeared to go under Lonergan’s body and into the net.

Lonergan saved well 11 minutes later, denying Lita at point-blank range.

North End got their equaliser in the 88th minute to the delight of more than 800 travelling supporters.

Danny Mayor took the ball down the right wing before laying it off into the path of Conor McLaughlin.

The Irishman whipped over a first-time cross, which evaded striker Nathan Ellington and travelled through to Jones arriving late at the back post.

His downward header bounced into the turf and up into the roof of the net.

Jones’ bare-chested celebration earned him a yellow card but it was a sanction he was happy to accept.