Havant 0 PNE 3 full-time

Havant and Waterlooville v PNE
Havant and Waterlooville v PNE
Have your say

Callum Robinson struck a hat-trick to see Preston North End safely past Havant and Waterlooville in their televised FA Cup clash at Westleigh Park.

It set up a home tie with either Walsall or Shrewsbury in the second round next month.

The home side finished the game with nine men, ex-PNE midfielder Brian Stock seeing red after an hour for two bookings before Warren Cummings joined him in the dressing room for handling on the line which led to the Lilywhites’ third goal from the penalty spot.

Robinson cut inside from the left-hand side to fire North End into a seventh minute lead.

The teenager, on loan from Aston Villa, stretched the advantage on the half-hour mark with a well-taken volley.

He completed his first senior treble in the 81st minute, netting from the spot after Cummings had handled his shot on the line.

PNE boss Simon Grayson had made four changes to the Lilywhites side.

Jack King, Josh Brownhill, Alan Browne and Kevin Davies came into the starting XI after being on the bench in last week’s defeat to Swindon.

Down to the bench went Joe Garner, Chris Humphrey, Neil Kilkenny and John Welsh.

The visitors lined-up in a 4-3-3 system, Jack King in a holding midfield role with Browne and Brownhill pushing on ahead of him.

Paul Gallagher and Robinson were in wide roles, either side of Davies who operated as a lone centre-forward.

North End had flown south yesterday morning, the 40-minute flight from Manchester to Bournemouth saving a five-hour journey by road.

The players certainly looked fresh, taking an early control of the contest which was preceded by a minute’s silence to remember those who had died in conflict.

Robinson saw a low shot from the left side of the box saved by Havant keeper Ryan Young, and it was from that side where much of the first-half joy came from.

PNE took a seventh-minute lead, David Buchanan feeding a pass to Robinson down the left side of the box.

The 19-year-old cut inside and opened up his body before side-footing a right-foot side through Young’s legs at the near post.

Havant conjured up an instant response, JJ Hooper testing Jamie Jones with a shot from 20 yards which the PNE keeper positioned himself well behind.

Soon after that, Stock tried his luck with an effort from distance, that travelling well past the post.

A cross from left-back Warren Cummings skimmed the head of Bradley Bubb and straight through to Jones.

With a quarter of an hour played, Brownhill’s slide-rule pass found Robinson down the inside-left channel.

Again he cut inside but delayed his shot slightly, allowing Brian Dutton to slide across and block.

Robinson drove a shot over the bar when well positioned, then Tom Clarke saw an effort blocked - Gallagher’s cross having found him unattended on the far side of the box.

Preston’s second goal arrived on the half-hour, Gallagher the creator with a fine piece of play on the right-wing.

Taking possession, he shaped to cross with his right foot, feigned on to his left and then back to his right.

Gallagher then lifted the ball into the box, Robinson getting just ahead of his marker to send a right-foot volley across Young from seven yards.

Like they had done after conceding the first goal, Havant rallied in the spell following the second.

Hooper got room down the right, his low cross cleared behind from inside the six-yard box by Scott Wiseman.

The resulting corner from Stock found Dan Strugnell at the back post but he powered his header too high.

Brownhill’s shot from 25 yards thumped into the gloves of Young who was well positioned right behind it.

In the 35th minute, Josh Huggins’ left-footed free-kick from the right found its way through to Dutton on the far side of the area, his header bouncing against the outside of the back post and wide.

North End almost had a third goal on the stroke of half-time, Wiseman’s fine pass playing in Browne behind the home defence.

The Irishman’s low shot was parried by Young, the rebound falling to Wiseman who had continued his run.

But Young was again equal to the task, diving to push the right-back’s follow-up behind for a corner.

Three minutes into the second half, Robinson screwed a volley well off target after Brownhill had exchanged passes with him to carve out the opening.

Havant shouted loudly for a penalty in the 53rd minute when midfielder Scott Donnelly went to ground in the box but referee Steve Martin was unimpressed and waved play on.

Havant’s task was made all the harder on the hour when Stock was sent-off for his second caution.

Having been booked for a foul on Robinson in the first half, the former Bournemouth and Burnley man walked after felling Browne.

Just after the red card, Gallagher put his foot through a long-range shot which flew just over the angle of post and bar.

Havant made a double change in the 62nd minute, Shamir Mullings and Perry Ryan replacing Bubb and Ben Swallow.

Mullings was quickly in the action, getting away down the right-wing and delivering a low centre which rolled across the six-yard box and out to safety on the other side.

Twice in the space of sixty seconds as the clock ticked into the final 20 minutes, North End could have stretched their advantage.

Davies chased a ball down the left side of the box and laid it back to Brownhill who struck a first-time volley wide.

Then after swiftly winning back possession from the goal kick, Gallagher’s 20-yard swerving shot was tipped over the bar by Young.

Neil Kilkenny and Kyel Reid replaced Brownhill and Gallagher in the 72nd minute as Grayson opted for fresh legs to help see the job through.

Reid wriggled his way into a shooting position to the left of goal, his powerful effort going over the head of the keeper but clipping the top of the bar.

The scoring was completed from the penalty spot nine minutes from time and saw another Havant red card.

It was a right old scramble which led to it, Robinson’s header hitting the bar and Browne reaching the rebound first only for Young to block at close quarters.

The loose ball ran back to Robinson whose shot was handled on the line by Cummings.

It was the assistant who flagged for the penalty and after Cummings had been dispatched for an early bath, Robinson stepped-up to confidently fire the penalty past Young.

Havant: Young, Strugnell, Haris, Dutton, Cummings, Swallow (Ryan 62), Stock, Donnelly, Huggins, Bubb (Mullings 62), Hooper (Connell 72). Subs not used: Woodford, Blanchett, Monteiro, Searle.

Booked: Stock 33

Sent-off: Stock 60, Cummings 81

PNE: Jones, Wiseman, Clarke, Huntington, Buchanan, King, Browne, Brownhill (Kilkenny 72), Robinson (Laird 87), Gallagher (Reid 72), K Davies. Subs not used: Humphrey, Garner, Welsh, Stuckmann.

Referee: Steve Martin (Staffordshire)

Attendance: 2,382