Full-time: Preston 1 Shrewsbury 0

PNE v Shrewsbury Town
PNE v Shrewsbury Town
Have your say

Jordan Hugill fired Preston North End into the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy as the Lilywhites dispatched Shrewsbury 1-0 at Deepdale.

Calum Woods’ teasing run lit up a lacklustre tie as the versatile defender sprinted into the Shrews box and pulled the ball back into the path of Hugill in the 59th minute.

Just a week after opening his account against boyhood heroes Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup defeat last Tuesday night the striker tapped home his second goal for the Lilywhites from just six yards out.

North End achieved a feat that Championship side Blackpool and Premier League new boys Leicester City could not muster as they cruised past Shrewsbury.

The Shrews dumped Blackpool and Leicester out of the Capital One Cup but Hugill’s strike ended Micky Mellon’s League Two sides unbeaten start to the season.

Preston North End manager Simon Grayson made eight changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Sheffield United on Saturday for the cup clash.

Thorsten Stuckmann, David Buchanan and Paul Huntington all made their first appearances of the season as they were named in the starting XI.

And summer signing Kyel Reid came off the bench in the 72nd minute to make his hotly anticipated début for the Lilywhites.

Woods, John Welsh, Scott Laird, Will Hayhurst and Hugill all returned to the starting line-up as Jack King, Alan Browne and Josh Brownhill were the only survivors from Saturday’s starting XI.

Grayson was unable to select Chris Humphrey, Bailey Wright, Scott Wiseman and Andy Little as they are all away on international duty.

In the third minute Laird headed the ball towards the bottom right corner and forced Shrews shot-stopper Jayson Leutwiler to palm the ball away from goal.

Right back Woods whipped a fierce cross into the box in the 14th minute and Shrews midfielder Andy Griffith nearly diverted the ball into his own net.

And in the 38th minute Griffith nearly opened the scoring up the other end as but he headed over the bar from close range.

PNE youngster Browne hit a hopeful effort from 25-yards out but Leutwiler collected the ball with ease in the 40th minute.

In the second half Shrews defender Jermaine Grandison was booked in the 51st minute for a foul on Hugill.

PNE nearly took the lead in the 56th minute as Shrews defender Grandison attempted to clear Buchanan’s fizzing left wing cross but he misjudged his clearance and the ball just flew over the Shrewsbury bar.

And the hosts opened the scoring moments later as Woods raced into the Shrewsbury box and put the ball on a plate for Hugill with a precision pass. Woods sprinted to the back line and cut the ball back into the centre of goal and the striker coolly slotted the ball past Leutwiler from six yards out in the 59th minute.

Stuckmann - making a rare appearance in goal for the Lilywhites - made a fine save from a fierce Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro shot in the 64th minute.

And the giant German shot-stopper saved Jordan Clark’s long range effort in the 72nd minute.

Reid finally made his North End début as he came off the bench and replaced Laird in the 72nd minute.

In stoppage time second half substitute Garner whipped the ball into the box towards fellow sub Kevin Davies. A shrews defender intercepted but the ball fell to Browne just outside the box, the Irishman pounced on the ball but his strike was deflected wide of the left post.

PNE: Stuckmann, Laird (Reid, 72), Woods, Buchanan, Welsh, King, Huntington, Hayhurst, Hugill (K Davies, 67), Brownhill (Garner, 83), Browne. Subs not used: Jones, Keane.

Shrewsbury: Leutwiler, Grandison, Demetriou (Collins, 69), Woods, Ellis, Gayle, Griffith, Caton (Vernon, 60), Knight-Percival, Clark, Akpa Akpro. Subs not used: Burton, Goldson, Collins, Wesolowski.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh (Manchester)

Attendance: 4,029 at Deepdale (away 196)