Full-time: PNE 1 Yeovil Town 1

Have your say

Super-sub Sylvan Ebanks-Blake rescued a point for Preston North End as they fought back to draw 1-1 with an injury stricken Yeovil Town at Deepdale.

Gary Johnson’s side were rock bottom of the League One table before kick-off but took a deserved lead on the stroke of half-time.

PNE v Yeovil

PNE v Yeovil

Striker Gozie Ugwu smashed the ball past PNE keeper Sam Johnstone from close range.

But Ebanks-Blake saved North End as he bagged his first goal for the Lilywhites in the 76th minute.

The striker rounded Yeovil keeper Jed Steer before tapping home into an empty yet from just two yards out.

PNE are now fourth in the table and for the second match in a row they fired numerous shots off target - only three of their 16 shots were on target.

PNE boss Simon Grayson made four changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Leyton Orient on Friday.

Bailey Wright, Scott Laird, John Welsh and Kevin Davies were recalled to the starting XI as Scott Wiseman, Neil Kilkenny and Kyel Reid dropped to the bench. Left back David Buchanan - who was at fault for Orient’s first goal in the 2-2 draw - was left out of the squad.

Yeovil boss Johnson’s injury crisis meant he could only name five substitutes. Two of the five-man bench were goalkeepers, Artur Krysiak and Gareth Stewart were both unused substitutes.

In the opening exchanges Paul Gallagher blasted the ball over Yeovil’s bar and Beckford’s attempted chip also sailed over the woodwork.

Up the other end Yeovil midfielder Alex Smith’s shot fizzed wide in the 17th minute.

Beckford headed over the bar in the 18th minute and his strike partner Davies nodded the ball wide of goal moments later.

Gallagher scuffed his shot way wide of Steer’s right hand post in the 27th minute and Yeovil striker Ugwu fired over the bar.

The Glovers stand in centre half Keiffer Moore - who usually plays upfront - proved his striking pedigree as he went close to breaking the deadlock with a fierce strike that just flew past Johnstone/

Brownhill blasted over from distance in the 36th minute and Yeovil launched a counter-attack that forced PNE keeper Johnstone into a fine one-on-one save. The young Manchester United loanee’s rapid reactions denied Ugwa’s 12-yard strike.

Beckford failed to hit the target once again as he latched on to the loose ball on the edge of Yeovil’s box but skim

Sam Foley stung Johnstone’s palms in the 45th minute. The young keeper flung himself across goal to tip the Yeovil midfielder’s strike away from goal.

But the visitors took the lead from the subsequent corner as Ugwu ghosted into the box and tapped home unmarked from just five yards out.

Wright was brought off as PNE switched from three at the back to four defenders.

Ugwa spun on the edge of the box before unleashing a thunderbolt that just flew wide of Johstone’s left hand post.

PNE should have equalised seconds later as Gallagher fizzed the ball across the goalmouth into the path of Chris Humphrey at the back post but the Jamaica international failed to get a touch.

PNE finally managed to get a shot on target in the 56th minute Brownhill’s low strike was tipped wide by Steer.

The ball ricochet off Moore onto Davies’ head in the Yeovil box before flying over the bar and Laird smashed a shot straight down Steer’s throat at the host’s upped the ante.

Ebanks-Blake rounded the keeper before casually tapping the ball over the line in the 76th minute.

The striker attempted the spectacular in the 86th minute as his acrobatic overhead kick just dropped over the bar.

PNE: Johnstone, Clarke, Wright (Wiseman, 46), Huntington, Laird, Humphrey, Welsh, Brownhill (Reid, 66), Gallagher, Beckford (Ebanks-Blake, 66), K Davies. Subs not used: Stuckmann, King, Kilkenny, Browne.

Yeovil: Steer, Smith, Edwards, Foley, Moore, Ofori-Twumasi, Loza (Hoskins, 66), Ugwu (Hayter, 52), Arturworrey, Smith (Berrett, 85), Shephard. Subs not used: Krysiak, Stewart.

Booked: Moore, N Smith.

Referee: Christopher Sarginson (Staffordshire)