Former Preston North End, Liverpool and Manchester City striker Michael Robinson has died at the age of 61

Former Preston North End striker Michael Robinson has died at the age of 61.

By Dave Seddon
Tuesday, 28th April 2020, 9:56 am
Updated Tuesday, 28th April 2020, 9:58 am
Michael Robinson scores for Preston North End against Sheffield United at Deepdale in August 1978
Michael Robinson scores for Preston North End against Sheffield United at Deepdale in August 1978

Robinson started his career at North End and his £756,000 sale to Manchester City in the summer of 1979 was a club record figure which stood until 1997.

He went on to have a fine career in football, winning the treble of league, European Cup and League Cup with Liverpool in 1984.

After his playing career finished with Osasuna, he remained in Spain and became a successful television pundit - in a similar manner to that of Gary Lineker in England.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Michael Robinson, right, celebrates scoring for Preston against Leicester City at Deepdale in April 1979

North End had scouted Robinson playing in local football tournaments when his parents ran a hotel in Blackpool.

He signed schoolboy forms and came through the youth ranks at Deepdale.

Robinson's debut in the PNE first-team came towards the end of the 1975/76 season but it was in the 1977/78 Third Division promotion winning campaign that he began to get more of a look in.

He started eight games and came off the bench twice, scoring three goals - the first of those was as a sub in a 1-1 draw against Swindon Town at Deepdale in September 1977.

Towards the end of that season Robinson got a run of starts with him scoring in a 1-0 win over Walsall and a 4-0 victory against Lincoln.

When Mike Elwiss was sold to Crystal Palace after promotion, Robinson paired-up with Alex Bruce in attack the next season.

Robinson made 41 appearances in league and cup, scoring 14 goals. Five of those goals came in a four-game burst early in the campaign.

His form attracted interest from the top flight and in June 1979, Manchester City paid out that big fee for him.

He spent a year with City before being sold to Brighton, playing for the Seagulls in the 1983 FA Cup Final.

From there Robinson moved to Liverpool where he won the league title and came on as substitute in the 1984 European Cup win over Roma on penalties.

He later played for Queens Park Rangers before moving to Osasuna in Spain.

In December 2018, Robinson revealed he was suffering from malignant melanoma.

Robinson's family used his personal Twitter account to announce his passing on Tuesday morning.

The message read: "With tremendous sadness we inform you of Michael's death.

"It leaves us with a great emptiness, but also countless memories, full of the same love that you have shown him.

"We will be eternally grateful to you for making this man SO HAPPY, he never walked alone. Thank you."