Derby County 1 Preston North End 2 - Match report as substitutes fire the Lilywhites into the next round of the Carabao Cup

Preston North End pulled off a dramatic but deserved victory over Derby County at Pride Park to book a place in the third round of the Carabao Cup.

By Dave Seddon
Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 8:44 pm
Updated Tuesday, 15th September 2020, 9:40 pm

They struck twice in the last 12 minutes to come from behind, Tom Barkhuizen scoring a superb equaliser with a half-volley from the edge of the box.

Then in stoppage-time, Daniel Johnson stepped-up to score from the penalty spot after Rams left-back Lee Buchanan had handled Darnell Fisher's cross in the box.

After all the speculation surrounding Rangers' interest in DJ, it could only be him who scored the winner.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Tom Barkhuizen is congratulated by Alan Browne after scoring Preston North End's equaliser at Derby

Derby had taken the lead against the run of play through Jason Knight six minutes into the second half.

However, soon afterwards the home side went down to 10 men after Mike Te Wierik was shown a red card for bringing down Sean Maguire when through on goal.

North End had bossed the first half, creating the better chances and looking the more likely of the sides.

But it needed a big impact off the bench. Barkhuizen joined the action first, then Johnson and Scott Sinclair arrived in a double change.

Preston North End's Sean Maguire gets the ball stuck under his body as he slides in to meet a cross against Derby

The North End line-up had shown 10 changes from the side beaten by Swansea on the opening day of the Championship season.

Alan Browne was the one survivor from that starting XI, with the Irishman switching position from right-back to a more accustomed attacking midfield role.

There was a return for goalkeeper Declan Rudd after he had missed much of pre-season with an injury, with Fisher also back after injury.

Paul Gallagher made his 300th appearance for North End, the skipper paired up with Tom Bayliss in midfield.

PNE midfielder Alan Browne shadows Derby's George Evans

North End's forward line had Jayden Stockley at the head of it, with support down the sides from Sean Maguire and Josh Harrop.

The visitors enjoyed the better of the first-half play and chances, and they should have led going into the interval.

Most of the chances were from distance but two from Stockley and Maguire were well inside the box.

Fisher and Gallagher both sent free-kicks off target, Fisher's an ambitious 30-yard effort while Gallagher was closer in and saw his set-piece dip just over the bar.

Sean Maguire and Wayne Rooney compete

In the 23rd minute a fine sliding tackle from Joe Rafferty won possession for PNE, the ball breaking to Browne 25 yards out.

He delivered a delightful cross into the box towards the far post to pick out Maguire. The Irishman reached it but seemed to lose his footing as he stretched to shoot and the ball ended-up underneath his body on the floor.

After the earlier free-kicks from Fisher and Gallagher, it was Harrop's turn to take one in the 28th minute after Lee Buchanan's foul on Maguire had brought the Derby man a yellow card.

Harrop's right-foot shot whistled just wide of the post, a yard or so across and it would have gone in.

In PNE's next attack, Rafferty's pressing inside the Derby box led to the ball falling to Stockley who hammered a first-time shot over the bar from 10 yards.

Another Harrop effort forced a good save from Rams goalkeeper Kelle Roos, the origins coming from more good pressing.

Browne moved down the right-wing and fed the ball inside to Harrop, his shot from 25 yards seeing Roos dive to his left to parry.

With how the balance of the first-half play had been, it had to be said that Derby's opener in the 51st minute came against the run of play.

Graeme Shinnioe got away from Bayliss down the Derby left and pulled the ball back low into the box to find Knight.

The winger's first shot was blocked in the six-yard box by Fisher, Knight following in to knock the ball home from close range.

Within four minutes the hosts were reduced to 10 men, Te Wierik shown a red card for bringing down Maguire just outside the box as the front man ran clear.

Gallagher couldn't make the free-kick count though, it crashing against the wall and bouncing clear.

Stockley saw a shot come back off the keeper, the striker hitting it first time after Browne had won a header.

With 73 minutes on the clock, Maguire's low shot from the edge of the box went through a crowd of legs and caught a deflection, Roos diving by the foot of the post to touch it behind.

North End's pressure got its rewards soon after and what a goal it was from Barkhuizen,.

Rafferty got the ball down the PNE left, checked back on to his right foot and sent a teasing cross into the middle.

It clipped a Derby player, Fisher headed it down into the path of Barkhuizen who struck an unstoppable first-time shot into the net off the underside of the bar.

The clock had just ticked over into stoppage-time when North End got their winner.

Fisher's cross struck Lee Buchanan on the arm, there being a long pause before referee Andy Davies pointed to the spot.

Johnson was calmness personified, going through his normal routine before sending the keeper the wrong way.

Derby: Roos, Wisdom, Te Wierik, Clarke, Buchanan, Evans (Marriott 89), Shinnie, Kinight, Sibley (Davies 56), Whittaker (Brown 67), Rooney. Subs (not used): Forsyth, Bird, Ibrahim, Marshall.

PNE: Rudd, Fisher, Bauer, Huntington, Rafferty, Bayliss (Barkhuizen 67), Gallagher (Johnson 75), Maguire, Browne, Harrop (Sinclair 75), Stockley. Subs (not used): Davies, Hughes, Ledson, Ripley.

Referee: Andy Davies (Hampshire)