Barnsley 0 Preston North End 3

Preston North End recorded their first Championship win of the season, seeing off Barnsley at Oakwell.

Paul Parry, Neil Mellor and Jon Parkin netted PNE's goals, the victory maintaining their unbeaten start to the campaign following draws with Bristol City and Doncaster.

Parry opened the scoring in the 11th minute with a fine run and finish, Mellor adding the second just after the half hour mark, volleying home on the turn.

And after being on the back foot for much of the second half, Parkin got on the end of a Billy Jones cross to hit the third.

Credit has to go to North End's backline for this win, as well as the three goalscorers, with Barnsley putting plenty of pressure on.

Andrew Lonergan pulled off a string of good saves, while central defenders Liam Chilvers and Sean St Ledger stood firm against a succession of crosses played into the box.

Lonergan produced a fine save in the opening five minutes, diving to his left to tip a powerful header from Kaode Odejayi round the post.

Stephen Foster met the resulting corner from Iain Hume but headed wide.

North End took an 11th minute lead, Mellor laying the ball off for Parry to cut into the box from the right, before hammering a shot into the far top corner.

Barnsley responded with Hume finding room on the right-wing and crossing low, Lonergan diving to palm it out.

Then Jones did well to block a far-post shot from Jacob Butterfield, deflecting it behind for a corner.

North End had a let-off in the 21st minute, another Hume corner picking out the unmarked Darren Moore in the middle, but the big centre-half headed over.

At the other end, a fine sliding tackle by Moore took the ball off Mellor's toes as he raced on to a Jon Parkin pass.

PNE's second goal came in the 33rd minute, Mellor finishing brilliantly for his first Championship goal of the campaign.

Jones hoisted a free-kick from the right into the box, Parkin headed it on, the home defence standing like statues as Mellor spun and fired a right-foot volley into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

Four minutes before the interval, Barnsley keeper Luke Steele came off his line to punch a Parry cross off Mellor's head, the loose ball falling to Darren Carter who blasted over from outside the box.

Lonergan produced a reaction save to prevent Barnsley reducing the deficit three minutes into the second half.

Veliche Shumulikoski needlessly conceded a free-kick just outside the Preston box, making a sliding challenge on Odejayi.

Hume whipped the ball into the middle, Moore meeting it with a firm header six-yards out, Lonergan managing to scoop it away.

Barnsley shouted loudly for a penalty in the 55th minute when Foster went down in the box, but referee Dean Whitestone ignored the appeal.

Lonergan was in action again moments later, diving to push Jacob Butterfield's low curling shot past the far post.

Substitute Daniel Bogdanovic almost made an instant impact after coming on as a 64th minute replacement for Adam Hammill.

The striker met a Hume corner in the box but Sean St Ledger got in a vital challenge to deflect it behind.

North End's resistence to plenty of home pressure paid dividends in the 72nd minute when they hit their third goal.

Jones' cross from the right-wing picked out Parkin beyond the far post, the Beast controlling the ball on his chest before firing into the roof of the net, the shot catching a slight delfection off a Barnsley boot.

Former PNE striker Jon Macken, on as a substitute, drew a diving save out of Lonergan moments after North End had netted.

In the 77th minute, sub Chris Sedgwick set off on a solo run towards the box, his right-foot shot well saved by Steele.

North End had the luxury of substituting all three scorers in the latter stages with one eye on Saturday's clash with Peterborough at Deepdale.

Irvine had swung the axe for North End's second visit to Yorkshire in four days, making five changes - four of them voluntary.

Two goals in two games wasn't enough to keep striker Chris Brown in the North End starting line-up.

Brown had to make do with a seat on the bench, Irvine choosing to go with Parkin and Mellor up front.

Youl Mawene missed out through injury, Barry Nicholson and Sedgwick dropped down to the bench, while Richard Chaplow wasn't in the squad.

Chilvers replaced Mawene, while Shumulikoski and Carter were paired together in the centre of midfield.

PNE: Lonergan, Jones, Chilvers, St Ledger, Davidson, Parry, Shumulikoski, Wallace, Parkin, Mellor. Subs: Sedgwick, Brown, Nicholson, Trotman, Nolan, Elliott, Henderson.

Barnsley: Steele, Hassell, Moore, Foster, Potter, Campbell-Ryce, de Silva, Butterfield, Hammill, Hume, Odejayi. Subs: Preece, Macken, Bogdanovic, Devaney, Sodje, El Haimour, Noble-Lazarus.

Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northants)

Attendance: 11,850

>> Vote in our latest web poll

PNE: The news, the views, the passion