PNE 1 Leyton Orient 1 full-time

Have your say

Preston North End Leyton Orient battled out a draw in Deepdale on the day that the football world paid its respects to Sir Tom Finney.

It was a result which did little to help either side’s automatic promotion credentials, Orient probably happier with the draw than North End who remain five points behind them.

Preston North End players with Finney on their shirts before the Preston North End v Leyton Orient Sky Bet League One match at Deepdale - Photo Ian Robinson

Preston North End players with Finney on their shirts before the Preston North End v Leyton Orient Sky Bet League One match at Deepdale - Photo Ian Robinson

The visitors led from the 44th minute when Mathieu Baudry connected with a Kevin Lisbie knock down to score from close range.

But the Lilywhites levelled just beyond the hour mark, Joe Garner slamming home from the penalty spot after Baudry had brought down Craig Davies in the box,

The tributes to Sir Tom, who passed away on Friday at the age of 91, started many hours before kick-off.

Long queues formed at the ticket office, with the Town End selling out by 2pm..

Flowers, scarves and football shirts were left on the Splash statue as North End fans remembered Sir Tom who made 472 appearances for PNE and won 76 England caps.

There was a huge media presence too, with interest country-wide and world-wide in Sir Tom’s death.

Before kick-off, flowers and a No.7 Preston shirt were presented by PNE director Kevin Abbott to the Finney family.

Deepdale then impeccably observed a minute’s silence, the players stood in the centre circle with their heads bowed.

On the pitch, PNE boss Simon Grayson made just one change to the side which had beaten Tranmere Rovers last week.

Tom Clarke returned from injury, taking the place of Jack King in the centre of defence alongside Bailey Wright.

There was a place for Josh Brownhill on the bench, the teenager fresh from signing a two-and-a-half year professional contract.

Brownhill had missed the previous games with a thigh strain.

Inside the opening 30 seconds, Scott Laird’s cross from the left-wing was met by Joe Garner but he headed over the bar.

North End were almost caught out at the back when Baudry stole in behind the defence to meet a free-kick, but his close-range shot was pushed past the past by Declan Rudd at close quarters.

In the seventh minute, the ground broke into a round of applause for Sir Tom - the fans’ way of playing their respects.

Both dugouts joined in, Grayson and his O’s counterpart Russell Slade clapping in Finney’s memory.

The home side went on to have the greater share of possession and the better chances in the first half but without really looking convincing.

Garner peeled off his marker to meet Paul Gallagher’s corner from the left, the striker’s volley travelling just over the bar.

Davies shouted for a penalty when he went down in the box in the 26th minute, but referee Dean Whitestone waved play on.

Soon after, Keith Keane slid a ball through the Orient defence, Davies latching on to it and sweeping a low shot goalwards which keeper Eldin Jakupovic blocked with his legs.

Garner looped a header into the keeper’s gloves after John Welsh had flicked on a Scott Wiseman cross, then Laird struck a free-kick from the edge of the box straight at Jakupovic.

In the 36th minute, Neil Kilkenny’s low drive from 20 yards was touched behind by the keeper - the referee initially giving a goal kick before being over-ruled by his assistant.

But after all those chances it was Orient who took the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Keith Keane was booked for a needless foul on David Mooney just into the North End half.

Gary Sawyer delivered the free-kick deep to the back post, Kevin Lisbie nodded it inside and there was Baudry to knock it into the net.

In the second half, Orient could have stretched their lead when Mooney got clear down the inside-right channel but blazed over the bar at the near post when he had two team-mates square of him in the box.

North End’s equaliser arrived in the 63rd minute when Davies went down in the box under a challenge from Baudry in the box.

Mr Whitestone pointed to the spot, bringing a huge cheer from the Preston fans but loud protests from the visitors.

After a minute or so delay, Garner stepped up and buried the penalty right-footed into the bottom corner - it was well struck and had to be with Jakupovic guessing the right way.

Rudd prevented Orient regaining the lead in the 75th minute, blocking Craig Dagnall’s shot on the edge of the box after the substitute had got clear.

The keeper then threw himself in the way of Romain Vincelot’s follow-up outside the box.

PNE substitute Kevin Davies should have scored with eight minutes to go but missed a sitter.

Lee Holmes’ pass was picked up by Wiseman on the right-wing, Wiseman whipping over a superb first-time cross.

Davies went to meet it inside the six-yard box but did not proper contact with his diving header and saw the ball drop wide of the back post.

PNE: Rudd, Wiseman, T Clarke, Wright, Laird, Keane (Holmes 58), Kilkenny, Welsh, Gallagher (Brownhill 75), C Davies (K Davies 75), Garner. Subs not used: Beavon, Buchanan, King, Stuckmann.

Orient: Jakupovic, Cuthbert, N Clarke, Baudry, Sawyer, Vincelot, James, Odubajo (Batt 82), Cox, Lisbie (Dagnall 70), Mooney. Subs not used: Larkins, Lasimant, Bartley, Simpson, Ness.

Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northants)

Attendance: 13,440