Own goal settles it for Shrimps

Laurence Wilson put the Shrimps two goals ahead
Laurence Wilson put the Shrimps two goals ahead
Have your say

Luton Town 2 Morecambe 3

The Shrimps’ impressive away form continued as they beat promotion-chasing Luton for the second time this season in a five-goal thriller at Kenilworth Road.

In a game that had at of everything, Morecambe sealed the points after being reduced to 10 men when hapless Hatters’ defender Luke Wilkinson turned an 86th-minute Kevin Ellison cross past his own goalkeeper.

The game started with controversy when Cameron McGeehan slid in recklessly on Morecambe’s Laurence Wilson but escaped with one of 12 yellow cards flashed by ref Carl Berry.

From there though, the Shrimps dominated and played some of their best football of the season against a Luton side unbeaten at home in 15 games.

On this occasion they took advantage of their dominance by scoring two fine goals.

Jack Redshaw scored the first on 18 minutes after creating himself space in the box with some quick feet, before drilling a left-footed shot past Elliot Justham from 18 yards out.

The Shrimps then added a spectacular second on the half-hour.

Redshaw was again involved with a cross to the far post and defender Wilson produced a fierce left-footed volley that flew into the top left-hand corner of the Luton goal.

And Redshaw should have added a third when he waltzed into the Luton box but shot straight at Justham.

Home manager John Still had seen enough at this point and made a change, with Alex Lawless replacing Scott Griffiths and Luton looked a different side.

They pulled a goal back on 43 minutes when early villain McGeehan headed a Michael Harriman cross past Andreas Arestidou.

The second half saw Luton dominate and create a host of chances.

Substitute Elliot Lee saw a free-kick from the edge of the box acrobatically tipped over the bar by Arestidou and the same player hit the post from a corner, with Wilkinson forcing the rebound over.

Luton skipper Steve McNulty then hit the bar with a looping header from another corner but Lawless blasted the rebound low into the corner to level the scores at 2-2 with 14 minutes to go.

Town looked odds on to go on and claim a memorable win, especially when Morecambe defender Ryan Edwards was shown a second yellow card for a foul on McGeehan.

Lawless was kept out superbly by a combination of Arestidou and the post.

And it was Morecambe who took the honours when Wilkinson diverted Ellison’s cross into his own goal and the Shrimps took the three points from an excellent away win.

Luton: Justham, Harriman, McNulty, Wilkinson, Griffiths (Lawless 33), Smith (Lee 68), McGeehan, Howells, Guttridge, Cullen, Whalley (Oduwa 73), Subs (not used): King, Drury, Stockley, Franks.

Booked: McGeehan, McNulty, Wilkinson, Lee, Oduwa.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Parrish, Hughes, Edwards, Beeley (Amond 90), Fleming, Wright, Wilson, Devitt (Mullin 74), Redshaw (Kenyon 81), Ellison. Subs (not used): Stewart, McGowan, Goodall, Williams.

Booked: Redshaw, Wilson, Fleming, Beeley, Hughes, Edwards.

Sent off: Edwards.

Ref: C Berry Attendance: 8,667