Sorry Magpies pay the penalty

Andy Teague and Mark Ross in action against Fleetwood Town during pre-season
Andy Teague and Mark Ross in action against Fleetwood Town during pre-season
Have your say

Chorley’s nine-match unbeaten run ended in disappointing fashion in a 3-1 defeat away at Lowestoft Town.

To some extent they gift-wrapped the three points for the home side by conceding two penalties.

In the end, on the homeward leg of their 500-mile round-trip, the Magpies and their sizeable loyal following were left to reflect on costly individual errors of judgement which resulted in the two spot-kicks.

But it wasn’t all down to the penalties, as Chorley were unable to take an early grip on the game and found themselves two down after 17 minutes.

Nor were they able to create enough in the final third of the field to claw back the two goals and they trailed 3-0 before Andy Teague finally put them on the score-sheet.

Even the dismissal of Lowestoft’s Erkan Okay for a second bookable offence 10 minutes from time failed to spark a productive late Magpies’ rally.

Jake Reed slotted home the Trawlermen’s 13th minute opener, after the Magpies failed to clear a high ball into the box. Four minutes later, an ill-judged dash from goal by Sam Ashton and mistimed challenge for the ball on Shaun Bammant gave Jack Ainsley the chance to double Lowestoft’s lead from the spot.

Chorley began to look dangerous in the later stages of the half and Adam Mather drilled a free-kick just over the bar before Teague was unlucky to see a header clip the post and bounce into the keeper’s arms.

Soon after the restart, James Dean might have made more of a chance inside the box than shoot straight at the keeper but Lowestoft went further ahead after 56 minutes from Ainsley’s second penalty awarded for a plunging tackle by Teague.

Five minutes later Teague atoned by heading home from a free-kick but for all their pressing Chorley could not add to their tally as a well-organised Lowestoft defiantly held on for victory – even when a man short.

AFC Fylde remain in second spot in the Conference North after a terrific 2-0 away win at Brackley Town.

A superb strike from Danny Rowe and a second in first half injury time for Danny Lloyd sealed the win which keeps them two points behind leaders Barrow.

Southport pulled off the surprise of the day in the Conference Premier when they defeated play-off candidates, Woking 2-1 at the Kingfield Stadium.

The victory gives them a four point cushion over the Conference relegation zone.

In the NPL First Division North, Bamber Bridge enjoyed a terrific 3-0 win over Warrington Town at Cantilever Park. Two goals from Ally Waddecar and one from Andy Bello sealed the win.

Liam Caddick hit a hat-trick inside the first six minutes as Burscough hammered Kendal Town 4-0, while Clitheroem thrashed Prescot Cables 6-0 and Lancaster City beat Padiham 3-0.