Port leave it late

Port boss Martin Foyle
Port boss Martin Foyle
Have your say

Southport gained their first victory of the season and moved up to 14th place in the Conference table when they beat Altrincham 2-1.

Man of the match Richard Brodie put the Sandgrounders ahead after 20 minutes, smashing the ball into the back of the net after a header by John Marsden had rebounded off the post.

Marsden had another chance minutes later when Brodie knocked the ball across to him inside the box but this time Marsden shot wide.

Altrincham came more into the game in the second half but nearly went further behind when Brodie headed the ball down, only for Stephen Brogan to hit it straight at the Robins keeper.

It was a miss the home captain would regret as, two minutes later, after Danny Lloyd-Weston had saved from Simon Richman, Steven Gillespie levelled the scores with a low shot into the far corner.

Lloyd-Weston made another great save, punching out substitute Kyle Perry’s shot but, as the game dragged on, neither side looked to have the initiative to win the game and a draw looked inevitable.

And then in the 91st minute, Northern Ireland international John Gorman, making his debut for the home side, sent a long free-kick into the box and Luke Foster headed in to give Martin Foyle’s Southport the three points and leave the Robins empty handed.

In the NPL First Division North, Burscough drew 2-2 at home to Darlington 1883.

The Linnets led twice through Mark Beesley and Liam Caddick goals, only for Darlo’s Gary Brown to equalise both times.

Clitheroe also drew 2-2 at home against Brighouse Town and it was the same story. Twice the home side led through Daniel Wilkins and Steven Mercer, and twiceRyan Hall pulled the visitors level.

Bamber Bridge earned a point from their trip to Kendal Town.

Mark Jackson (63) put Kendal in front but four minutes from time, Stuart Vasey got Brig’s equaliser.

But Lancaster City were beaten 3-2 at Radcliffe Borough.

Daniel White (5) put the hosts into the lead.

But Neil Marshall levelled matters for the Dolly Blues in the 33rd minute.

Chris Mason (43) put Boro back in front before the break, then Bevan Burey (60) made it 3-1.

Billy Akrigg (62) got a goal back for Lancaster but they could not get an equaliser.