Match report: Chorley 2-0 Frickley Athletic

James  scored twice for Chorley against Frickley Athletic
James scored twice for Chorley against Frickley Athletic
Have your say

James Dean bagged himself a brace of goals as Chorley advanced into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup at the expense of Frickley Athletic.

After an even first half, Matt Jansen’s side broke the deadlock in the 60th minute, Dean, who was goalless for the season prior to today’s fixture, confidently despatched a spot kick past Sebastian Malkowski after Darren Stephenson was bundled over.

The big striker scored his second of the match two minutes from the end with a superb solo effort.

He sprinted more than half the pitch shaking off two challenges before arrowing a shot in the bottom right corner to send the Magpies’ fans wild and seal £4,500 in prize money for the club.

To the visitors’ credit they were well in the game and Chorley shot-stopper Sam Ashton had to make a couple of smart saves in the first half.

All eyes will now be on Monday’s draw which will be held at lunch time.

In the 10th minute, Dean forced goalkeeper Malkowski into a smart save after the front-man broke down the right wing.

Prior to Dean’s shot, the visitors defended three Chorley corners whilst at the other end, Luke Hinsley’s long range effort went harmlessly over.

A decent spell of pressure from the home side led to Malkowski making his second save of the match, the one-time Polish International managed to get his big frame in the way to block Darren Stephenson’s shot from the edge of the box.

Frickley registered their first effort on goal in the 22nd minute, Tyler Williams got the better of right back Mark Ross but the winger’s tame effort went straight at goalkeeper Ashton.

Six minutes later, Ashton pulled off a smart save turning Hinsley’s near post effort wide for a corner.

Dean almost gave Chorley the lead in the 37th minute but he glanced his header agonisingly wide from Andy Bond’s corner.

Just before half-time, Chorley threatened again but Malkowski was equal to Dean’s header from six yards.

The Magpies had first sight on goal in the second half, Stephenson forcing Malkowski into a comfortable save at his near post.

Frickley were holding their own and Williams flashed a shot wide of goal from a distance.

But on the hour mark the hosts gained the upper hand as referee Darren Strain awarded a penalty after Stephenson was shoved over by right back Macaulay Parkinson.

Striker Dean took the penalty and ended his barren spell, as he dispatched it confidently in the left corner past Malkowski who went the wrong way.

Frickley responded by introducing forward Chris Wood at the expense of Parkinson.

As the game entered its final stages, Frickley’s Jacob Hazel shot just wide after finding space 25-yards out.

Chorley booked their place in the next round of the cup with two minutes remaining as Dean scored his second of the match.

Dean raced away from just inside his own half and shoved off two challenges, he made his way into the area before blasting a shot into the bottom right corner past a helpless Malkowski.

The striker was replaced shortly after and he left the field to a rapturous applause from the Chorley fans.

Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Dodd, Doyle, Teague (c), Cottrell, Whitham, Bond (Roscoe 82), Hine (Guy 67), Stephenson, Dean (Jarvis 90)

Subs not used: Charnock, Winter, Jarvis, Sheridan, Rigby (gk)

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Parkinson (Wood 71), Jeffs, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible (c), Williams, Lenighan, Hazel, Thomas, Johnson

Subs not used: Dockerty, Ellam, Griffin, Fotko, Stratford

Referee: Darren Strain (Runcorn)

Attendance: 542