Magpies routed by Halifax in FA Cup

James Dean was sent off
James Dean was sent off
Share this article
Have your say

Chorley’s FA Cup dreams were ended in tragedy as a rampant Halifax Town showed their quality in a 5-0 demolition at The Shay.

Adam Smith and Richard Peniket each bagged a brace and former Macclesfield Town man Scott Boden also got himself on the scoresheet.

The Magpies were more than in the game in the opening stages until front man James Dean saw red for an elbow to Shaymen centre-half Simon Ainge. Chorley continued to press in the opening stages, Adam Mather saw a corner cleared off the line and former Halifax forward Dean volleyed wide of goal.

Despite the bright start it was the Shaymen who took the lead, Boden and Smith both saw efforts deflected wide but the loose ball landed at the feet of left back Scott McManus.

McManus drilled an effort from 20 yards which goalkeeper Danijel Nizic could only fumble and Peniket was left with a simple tap in.

Things went from bad to worse for Chorley minutes later.

In an off the ball challenge Dean appeared to strike Ainge in the head and after referee Rob Jones consulted with his assistant, the red card was produced.

Adam Roscoe came within inches of drawing Chorley level eight minutes before the break, his free-kick from 25 yards grazed the post.

The game was all but put to bed on the stroke of half-time, when Chorley failed to clear their lines and left unmarked was Boden who had a comfortable finish from three-yards past the helpless Nizic.

Halifax extended their lead early in the second half, substitute Ross Dyer twisted and turned his way into the area, he squared the ball to Smith who drilled a shot through the legs of Nizic.

The Chorley back line was beaten for a fourth time just after the hour mark, Smith jinxed his way past Dale Whitham before curling a shot into the top right hand corner.

The rout was completed when Jamie Jackson when Peniket found space in the area to dink an effort over the onrushing Nizic to round off a comfortable evening for the home side.

Southport booked a first round tie with Dagen and Redbridge by beating Tamworth on penalties after the match had ended 1-1

In the FA Trophy, Bamber Bridge thrashed Lancaster City 5-1 at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.