Home comforts for on-song Magpies

Mark Ross was on target for Chorley
Mark Ross was on target for Chorley
Have your say

After an off-day last weekend at Worcester, the Magpies got back on track against Hednesford, winning 2-0 at Victory Park in the Conference North.

Chorley gave debuts to Chris Doyle from Morecambe and substitute Astley Mulholland from FC 

But they went up against Hednesford still without captain Andy Teague, Jake Cottrell and suspended pair Kyle Jacobs and Harry Winter.

Jack Dorney flashed the first meaningful attempt inches too high while, at the other end, Sam Ashton beat away Danny Glover’s fierce drive.

Both sides struggled to create anything approaching a clear-cut opening in a lukewarm first half before, and against all expectations, Chorley grabbed the lead on the stroke of half-time.

Dorney released Mark Ross and the full-back cut inside, before beating keeper Dan Crane all ends up with a ferocious drive into the far corner.

Josh Hine had an early second-half opportunity but his tame shot was comfortably smothered by Crane. A flurry of Hednesford attacks saw Ashton forced to punch clear on three occasions, before Doyle almost grabbed a debut goal, his header from Dale Whitham’s corner being cleared off the line.

On the hour mark, a quick Chorley break produced the second goal.

Hine scampered clear down the right and, though Crane blocked his shot, the ball fell kindly to James Dean to fire home.

Dean almost made it three only to see Crane smartly turn his low drive round the upright.

Hednesford’s lightweight attack struggled to make much headway against the Magpies defence, though Ashton had to be alert to grab Glover’s snap shot.

Ashton then did well to tip over substitute Jamie Sullivan’s fierce shot, before full-back James Hurst hit the bar.

Overall the Magpies held on comfortably to return to winning ways with a deserved three points.

Elsewhere, AFC Fylde stayed top of the Conference North with a 4-0 home win against Worcester City.

Richie Allen became the first Fylde player to reach a century of goals for the club.

He opened the scoring after eight minutes, before adding his second, and 100th for the club, seven minutes from time. In between those goals, Josh Langley and Michael Barnes hit the net.