Fylde’s familiar old foes

A Guiseley player offers words of consolation at full time
A Guiseley player offers words of consolation at full time
Have your say

AFC Fylde 1 Guiseley 2 (Guiseley won 3-1 on agg)

The Coasters are out of the play-offs at the semi-final stage after bogey side Guiseley recorded their third win over them this season.

A goal down after the first leg, Richie Allen gave Fylde the dream start, heading past keeper Steve Drench after just 20 seconds to level the tie on aggregate.

But when Danny Boshell equalised 10 minutes before the break, and Guiseley captain Andy Holdsworth gave the visitors the lead it proved too much for Fylde to overturn.

The Coasters needed to start exactly how they finished at Guiseley and they certainly did when Allen was the only one to follow the bouncing ball into the area and headed it 
past Drench after just 20 seconds.

And when a corner from Richie Baker was not dealt with by the away defence, Josh Wilson sent it back across goal only for it to be missed by every Fylde player.

Another decent ball into the box, this time from Allen, almost found Danny Rowe and Danny Lloyd at the back post but goalkeeper Drench came out to collect it.

Guiseley’s first chance fell for Wayne Brooksby on 15 minutes but he could only scuff a shot well wide from the edge of the area.

Three minutes later Adam Sumner was unlucky not to find the back of the net on his 201st appearance for Fylde.

Cutting inside from the left, he shot low and forced a good save from Drench after some decent build-up play by the home side.

Guiseley attacked straight away and Oli Johnson shot wide.

Another spell for Fylde saw two chances within a minute fall for Lloyd.

Fylde skipper Brad Barnes was penalised for a handball 30 yards out which allowed his opposite number, Holdsworth to fire the free-kick inches over the crossbar on 27 minutes.

But the visitors punished Fylde when Boshell connected with Danny Lowe’s cross to make it 1-1 and restore Guiseley’s aggregate lead.

Two half chances fell for Fylde late in the half but they were unable to retake their lead before the break.

It took until the 57 minute for the next chance on goal and it was one that counted as Holdsworth connected with Johnson’s pass to fire the ball home and give the visitors the lead in the match which also doubled their aggregate advantage.