Fylde back on song

FA Cup 4th qualifying round match between AFC Fylde (white strip) and Ilkeston.'Joe Booth busy on the edge of the area.  PIC BY ROB LOCK'20-10-2012
FA Cup 4th qualifying round match between AFC Fylde (white strip) and Ilkeston.'Joe Booth busy on the edge of the area. PIC BY ROB LOCK'20-10-2012
Share this article
Have your say

The promotion bandwagon is back on track for AFC Fylde as they stormed to a 4-0 victory over struggling Stocksbridge Park Steels at Kellamergh Park on Saturday.

The recent ultimatum by Manager Dave Challinor earlier in the week was well and truly heeded as Joe Booth helped himself to a goal in either half and Michael Barnes and Adam Carden added the extras as the Coasters grabbed a much-needed three points after back-to-back league defeats in recent weeks.

Challinor was pleased with the result and the quick reaction from his players after recent defeats to Chorley and FC United.

He said: “It was an important game for us and it was one where we knew we had to be on the right side of the result and I think the only disappointment was that we should have been out of sight a lot sooner than we were.

“The score-line in the end was a true reflection of the game but even their manager agreed that it should have been that at half time which shows how dominant we were.

“I think the longer it stayed 1-0 teams are never really out of it and are waiting for that mistake to get them back into it so it was good to get the second goal and then the third and fourth later on to put a true reflection on the game.”

Bamber Bridge suffered a 3-2 defeat at play-off chasing Cammell Laird.

Despite going behind to an early goal from Freddie Potter, Brig were soon in front as Andy Bell scored twice in the space of four minutes in the 19th and 23rd minute.

The home equalised nine minutes later courtesy of Jamie Henders and it was Michael Grogan, who stole all the points eight minutes from time.

Lancaster City’s tasted their first defeat of the new year when they lost 2-0 away at Radcliffe Borough. Kevin Sanasby opened the scoring on 21 minutes and Sam Freakes added the second 14 minutes after the interval.

A hat-trick from ex-Chorley winger Shelton Payne gave Trafford a 3-1 win over Burscough. Dave Lynch was on target for the Linnets.

Clitheroe let a two-goal lead slip to draw 2-2 at home with Salford City. Daley Woods put Clitheroe two-up only for Nathan McDonald to reply twice.

Kendal Town’s battle against relegation Townfrom the NPL Premier Division was dented on Saturday as they suffered a 4-3 home loss to Worksop Town despite leading three times.

Michael Rushton and Dean Overson’s goals were cancelled out by Lee Potts.

Maison McGeechan’s penalty 17 mintes from time looked to have given Town the points bt Tom Denton’s brace settled the match for Worksop.

Southport’s match away at Braintree was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.