Defensive errors cost Magpies vital victory

Goalscorer Chris Doyle
Goalscorer Chris Doyle
Have your say

It was pure entertainment as the goals rained down at Victory Park as Chorley drew 3-3 with Worcester City.

But for the majority of an excellent crowd of 1,128 it was pure frustration too as the Magpies once again threw away two priceless promotion mpoints.

The Magpies led 2-1 at the break but missed clear chances to have scored four. Then sloppy defending allowed Worcester to grab two goals in as many minutes just after the hour and turn the game on its head.

Fortunately, Garry Flitcroft’s men showed typical resilience to keep going and centre-back Chris Doyle’s second goal of the game rescued a point.

“There needs to be better communication between keeper and defenders,” said the Chorley boss afterwards. “We’ve given away two goals of the sort we don’t usually concede. Not long ago, we had one of the best defensive records in this league.’

Doyle prodded Chorley ahead on 13 minutes after Aaron Burns’ close-range header had been blocked on the line.

The Magpies were undone by a quick counter in the 20th minute, Tristian Dunkley collecting Sean Geddes’ short pass unchallenged to slip the ball past the advancing Sam Ashton.

But Chorley were back in front on the half-hour. Burns won a tussle 40 yards out and released Dean who burst clear and beat Root with a superbly-placed low drive from just outside the box.

Dean then turned provider with a pinpoint centre to which Hine got up too early and sent his six-yards’ header over the bar – a golden chance gone.

There was no slackening of the tempo after the interval and Ashton twice pulled off terrific saves.

Poor covering soon presented Worcester with the game-changing goals. Andy Teague completely misjudged the flight of a ball through the middle and the lively Dunkley strode through to put City level again. A minute later Dunkley wriggled clear too easily on the right and his short centre was whipped into the roof of the net by Mike Symons.

To their credit Chorley stuck to the task and from Adam Mather’s well-flighted 77th minute corner Doyle rose above the defence to power a header into the net.

AFC Fylde had settle for a point against a resolute Tamworth side despite taking the lead at Kellamergh Park.

First half substitute Danny Lloyd scored the opener for The Coasters after 50 minutes when a good ball came in from the right courtesy of Richie Allen, it found Lloyd and he made no mistake from six yards out.

But Fylde had to settle for a point after Leon Mettam equalized after 64 minutes with a well-timed, acrobatic finish. Fylde couldn’t manage to find a winner in the closing stages so the points were shared.