City out despite a fightback

Lancaster City boss Darren Peacock and assistant Trevor Sinclair during the game against Padiham.
Lancaster City boss Darren Peacock and assistant Trevor Sinclair during the game against Padiham.
Have your say

A courageous second half fightback by 10-man Lancaster City was not enough as they went out of the FA Cup at the third qualifying round stage 3-2 at King’s Lynn Town.

The Dolly Blues never recovered from Jacob Davies’ crazy red card in the 24th minute.

Immediately after his send-off, City found themselves 1-0 down and they conceded a further two goals before half-time.

Manager Darren Peacock and his assistant Trevor Sinclair used the interavl to re-organise their troops – the result being a much-improved performance in the second half.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, City dominated their opponents after the break and pulled two goals back throughBenjamin Hudson and Simon Wearing.

Unfortunately, they were unable to find an equaliser which would have forced a replay tomorrow night at Giant Axe.

Billy Akrigg and Tom Kilifin went close early on as the visitors begun the match well.

However, they were rocked when Davis was given his marching orders for impeding goalkeeper Alex Street, who was attempting a goal-kick. This came just a few minutes after being booked for a foul on Jake Jones.

The home side took full advantage when Street launched the resulting free-kick forward and Stephen Spriggs squeezed the ball past Mike Hale from an acute angle.

Town doubled their lead eight minutes later when Michael Frew’s shot was blocked by Neil Marshall, but the rebound was thumped home by George Thomson from six yards out.

Town contined to push forward and they were rewarded with their third shortly before half-time when Spriggs set up Frew, who made no mistake from close range.

Lancaster should have puuled a goal back before the interval but Akrigg somehow missed when it looked easier to score.

Visiting boss Peacock appeared to have been sent to the stands for the resumption, but it didn’t deter his team as they made a fast start to the second half.

Hudson found space in the box and headed past Street to pull a goal back in the 49th minute.

City went in search of more goals, but they were almost undone when Thomson struck a post.

In the NPL First Division North, Burscough lost 1-0 at home to Ossett Albion. Clitheroe drew 1-1 with Radcliffe Borough at Shawbridge.

Kendal Town defeated Harrogate Railway Athletic 4-3.

It was in the 89th minute when City scored their second when Wearing lobbed Street to make it 3-2, but it proved to be too little too late for the Dolly Blues.

Meanwhile, Gary Brabin continued his fine start to his second spell of managing Southport with a magnificent 2-0 away defeat of Braintree Town on Saturday.

This was only the Sandgrounders second away win in the last 12 months.

The team showed two changes from Tuesday night’s draw with Lincoln City, James Marsden replaced Ross Dyer and Joe Collins came in for Clayton McDonald who injured himself in the warm-up.

The home side had the greater possession but were unable to make the most of their chances against a resolute Southport defence and the match was scoreless at half-time.

Braintree pressed hard in the second half but were stunned in the 67th minute when Luke George tried a left foot shot from 20 yards out that skimmed low into the goal.

Southport put the game to bed in the 82nd minute. A swivel and shot in the box from 18 year old Amadou Bakayoko – on-loan from League One outfit Walsall – came on for Marsden in the second half.

It could have been more as Richard Brodie, who had another fine game, and Bakayoku both went close in the final minutes.

The victory moved Southport out of the relegation zone in the Conference Premier into 20th place.

Chairman Charlie Clapham, must be wishing he had appointed Brabin, who has the best points per game record of any Southport manager since 1978.