Chorley, Brig and AFC Fylde in end-of-season play-offs

Glen Steel scores for Brig
Glen Steel scores for Brig
Have your say

The point gained against Solihull Moors from Chorley’s eighth home draw of the season was enough to secure a fourth-place finish in the Conference North.

The Magpies now host third-placed Boston United in the play-offs semi-final first leg at Victory Park on Wednesday (kick-off 7.45).

This was a livelier game than the scoreline might suggest and on the balance of chances created Chorley should have won it.

But a combination of bad luck in a stirring first half display and wayward finishing in a less inspiring second half led to a hard-working Solihull side earning a share of the spoils.

Josh Hine was in the thick of the action in a bright start by the home side. He blazed over from an early chance, then had a goal disallowed for offside before miscuing his shot from a clear chance following a left-wing raid and deep cross.

Twice Chorley were denied by the woodwork as they continued in the ascendancy. Jack Dorney’s measured lob had Tony Breeden well beaten but clipped the bar then James Dean shook the top of the near post with thunderous angled drive.

In reply, Solihull’s Reece Fleet was just too high with a clever chip and Darryl Knights’ raking cross-shot flew just beyond the far post.

Dean was again close to scoring minutes after the interval when Breeden palmed his fierce drive for a corner. Sam Ashton in the home goal was seriously tested for the only time when Moors’ hot-shot, 29-goals Omar Bogle, cut in past two defenders and hit a strong shot which the keeper parried at his near post.

To the undisguised disappointment of anxious home fans in a crowd of 1,425 the Magpies squandered two late chances to pocket the points. First, substitute Aaron Burns fired high over from an open shooting position, then from a similar invitation to score from a squared pass fellow-sub Chris Almond completely missed his kick on the bobbly surface with only Breeden to beat.

AFC Fylde narrowly missed out on winning the Conference North league title on the final day of the season despite winning a 10-goal thriller at Kellamergh Park.

The Coasters finished the league season in second place and the result means that Fylde will have to go through the play-offs and their opponents are Guiseleyon Wednesday night away from home, followed by the return leg at Kellamergh Park on Saturday.

A Danny Rowe hat-trick, a brace from Danny Lloyd and a solitary Dion Charles goal saw off the resilient Gloucester. City side who took the lead twice in a quite amazing game at Kellamergh Park.

Bamber Bridge secured home advantage in the NPL First Division North play-off semi-finals with a 3-1 win over Farsley on Saturday at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.

Glen Steel opened the scoring on 10 minutes with a header which found the bottom corner.

Brig extended their lead 11 minutes before the interval when sloppy play by the visitors let in Alistair Waddecar who was brought down by the keeper. Danny Mahoney coolly slotted the ball home.

The visitors gave themselves hope when two minutes later Aiden Savory headed in from a corner.

The match was in the balance until 14 minutes from time when Chris Marlow cross was turned into his own goal by a Farsley defender.

Elsewhere in the division, Lancaster City were well beaten 3-0 at Harrogate Railway Athletic, but a double from Louis Mayer helped Clitheroe defeat Warrington 2-1 at Shawbridge. Kendal Town suffered a 3-0 home defeat to Scarbrough Athletic and Burscough drew 1-1 away at Spennymoor Town.

l Southport needed no help from other teams to hold on to their Conference Premier status when they defeated Welling United by the only goal of the game to remain in 19th position in the table.

Welling started the stronger and should have scored inafter 20 minutes when keeper Tony Thompson, who had an uncertain game, missed Jake Callagher’s cross leaving Dominic Vose a clear shot at goal but Luke Foster was there to block it on the line.

The game was petering out to a draw when, in the 78th minute, Steven Hewitt, on loan to the Sandgrounders from Burnley, powered in an unstoppable shot from fully 30 yards which bounced in from the underside of the crossbar to give his team the three points.