Chorley and Fylde progress in Cup. Brig need a replay

Matt Jansen
Matt Jansen
Have your say

In a compelling cup tie Chorley reached the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup but were made to fight all the way by a spirited Whitley Bay.

In a compelling cup tie Chorley reached the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup but were made to fight all the way by a spirited Whitley Bay.

The visit to the Northern League side – operating three levels below the Magpies – was a potential ‘banana-skin’ for Matt Jansen’s men which they avoided thanks to a resilient second-half show.

Trailing 1-0 at the interval, Chorley responded impressively to Jansen’s interval pep-talk to emerge 3-2 winners.

“We had to get back out there and show them who was boss,” said Jansen. “They threw everything at us but we had more chances and in the end got what we deserved.’

Although Chorley made the early running they fell behind on 14 minutes. Andy Teague dwelt on the ball indecisively and was dispossessed, Adam Shanks beating Sam Ashton with a sublime chip from 30 yards.

On 35 minutes Harry Winter’s header had ‘goal’ written all over it until keeper Andy Bennison pulled off a wonder save to tip the ball for corner.

Two goals in three minutes just after half-time turned the tie the visitors’ way. On 48 minutes Andy Bond surged into the box and hit a cracking shot into the top corner, then from Mark Ross’s centre Jake Cottrell flashed a close-range bullet-header into the net to put Chorley in front.

Substitute Marcus Carver struck a post from 20 yards and then Winter missed badly, firing over from close range.

The visitors were then stunned by a Bay equaliser on 71 minutes, Shanks ghosting in to head past Ashton.

The Magpies determinedly raised their game again and the lively Carver’s close-range header rattled the bar.

The all-important Chorley goal arrived in the 79th minute when Darren Stephenson reacted quickly to slip the ball into the net following a half-hit shot by James Dean. Minutes later, the latter spurned the chance to wrap up the tie, choosing to round the keeper only to shoot wide with Josh Hine completely unmarked. and the goal gaping.

In the end, with Bay mounting a desperate late rally, only smart work by Ashton in closing down the dangerous Shanks prevented a replay.

“It was a typical cup-tie,” said Bay manager Paddy Atkinson. “I’m not too disappointed because we gave a good account of ourselves but obviously they had a bit more quality and more strength on the bench. It was a great game.”

AFC Fylde eased into the final qualifying round of the FA Cup with a sensational 9-0 victory over Coleshill Town.

The Coasters swept aside their Midland League opponents with both Danny Rowe and Matty Hughes bagging hat-tricks in a landslide victory.

Danny Lloyd grabbed a brace and the impressive Dion Charles completed the scoring with a brilliant individual goal.

Meanwhile, the Coasters have pulled off a major coup woth acquisition of 19-year-old Manchester City striker James Hardy.

“James has trained with us over the last few weeks and he has really impressed,” said manager Dave Challinor.

“He’s a young lad and he has had the best possible schooling during his three years at Manchester City.

Bamber Bridge face a FA Cup replay against Kettering Town on Tuesday at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium after the teams drew 1-1 on Saturday.

Former PNE and Blackpool star Brett Ormerod gave the visitors the lead after just quarter of an hour, when he tapped in on the line.

The lead last until the 51st minute when Liam Canavan squared the match up aftersome concerted homke side pressure.

Brig had a great chance to win it late on but Jamie Milligan’s penalty was saved.

Elsewhere in the cup, Burscough were well beaten by Harrogate Town 3-0.

In the NPL First Division North, Lancaster City drew 2-2 at Brighouse Town, while Kendal lost 2-0 to Glossop.Clitheroe defeated New Mills 3-2.

Meanwhile, Southport were comprehensively beaten on their own ground by fellow relegation strugglers Torquay United and sank to 22nd place in the National League table.

The only goal of the match came in the very first minute when a lax defence allowed Alex Fisher a free header from Daniel Butler’s corner and he made no mistake from ten yards out.

It could have been two in the seventh minute but Ben Davies cleared James Hunt’s shot off the line in a goalmouth scramble.

Louis Almond tried hard to revitalise the Sandgrounders in the second half but they presented little danger to a side who had previously won only two games all season.