Chorley 6 Tamworth 0

Josh Hine
Josh Hine
Have your say

This really was a case of ‘Lambs’ to the slaughter.

The promotion-chasing Midlanders epitomised their nickname as they meekly surrendered in the face of a powerhouse second-half show by Chorley who ran out 6-0 victors.

The Magpies were a side brimming with purpose and confidence, reeling off a third win in eight days.

Although hat-trick hero Josh Hine’s treble settled the match just after the hour, the home side continued to delight a bumper crowd of 1,392 by running in three more goals. As a result, Chorley surged into fourth place and trail tomorrow’s visitors to Victory Park, Guiseley, only on goal-difference.

The contest looked much tighter in an even first half but Chorley went two up a minute before the break to set up the second-half goal-spree.

James Dean was the provider for the opening goals, the first a real classic. On 21 minutes Dean chased a ball down the left and at full stretch whipped over a wonderful cross which Hine converted beyond the far post with bullet header.

Then Dean broke through in midfield and slipped the ball outside to Hine who cut in and finished with a telling low cross-shot.

Sam Ashton in the home goal had not had a serious save to make in the first half but distinguished himself minutes after the restart with a stunning reflex save to smother Dave Hibbert’s point-blank-range header from a corner.

Tamworth keeper James Belshaw did well to parry a stinging drive from Dale Whitham but had no chance of preventing the unmarked Hine from completing his hat-trick in the 63rd minute from Jack Dorney’s floated left-wing centre.

Belshaw saved bravely from Dean before Chorley made it five with two goals in the 73rd and 78th minutes.

The elusive Dorney, having a field-day down the left, crossed for Harry Winter to tap in and then a perfect short pass from Whitham enabled Dorney to fire past an exposed Belshaw. Aaron Burns, making a cameo substitute appearance, casually flicked home the rampant Magpies’ sixth in added time.

“We were outstanding,” enthused Garry Flitcroft. “You won’t see a better goal than our first in the Premier Leagueand our general movement and pace were too much for Tamworth who have proved they are a decent side.”

AFC Fylde missed the opportunity to go back to the top of the Conference North on Saturday as they were held to a 0-0 draw by Gainsborough Trinity.

With Barrow only managing a draw with Bradford Park Avenue, the Coasters would have gone top on goal difference with three points.

However, they were left frustrated as both Josh Langley and Tom Hannigan hit the bar in the closing stages of the first half.

There really wasn’t much in the game, although Danny Rowe had a number of efforts but none of them really tested the Trinity keeper Rory Watson who saw many shots fly past both of his posts.

Meanwhile, in the Conference Premier, Southport virtually guaranteed their safety with a 2-1 win Over Torquay United.

The result lifts the Sandgrounders nine points clear of the drop zone with six games to play.

Scott Kay gave Port the lead when he blasted a 20-yard free-kick past keeper Martin Rice who stood rooted to the spot.Opposing skipper Luke Young was sent off and then home side continued to dominate.

However, they were reocked in the 77th minute when Toby Ajala knocked in the equaliser after James McQuilkin’s 25 yard free kick rebounded off a post.

But Southport were not prepared to give up and after good approach work by George Donnelly allowed Paul Smith forced the ball into the net through a tangle of Torquay legs for the winner.

Bamber Bridge’s NPL First Division promotion hopes were dealt a blow when they were beaten 4-3 at Droylsden.

A Daniel Mahoney penalty handed Brig a early lead but they then fell 3-1 down at the interval.

Alistair Waddecar gave Brig hope by pulling a goal back early in the seconbd half, but the Bloods made the game safe in the final minute. There was still time for Jon Macken to pull a goal back.

Other results: Burscough 4, New Mills 1; Clitheroe 3, Ossett Town 2; Farsley 0, Lancaster City 1;