Chorley 3 Clitheroe 0

Chorley celebrate winning the LFA Challenge Trophy
Chorley celebrate winning the LFA Challenge Trophy
Have your say

Rampant Chorley got their hands on the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy for an unprecedented 16th time as they demolished Clitheroe

The Magpies quality on and off the ball showed throughout the final at Bolton’s Macron Stadium as Clitheroe struggled to cope with Chorley’s pace and power.

Chorley boss Garry Flitcroft made seven changes to the side that started in the league against AFC Fylde on Saturday.

In came goalkeeper Aaron Grundy, skipper Teague, Jake Cottrell, Josh Hine, Jack Lynch, Chris Almond and Paul Jarvis, with Sam Ashton, Chris Doyle, Dale Whitham, Adam Roscoe, Chris Simm, Harry Winter and Jack Dorney dropping to the bench or out of the squad respectively.

And Chorley made a quick start by taking the lead in the fourth minute.

Adam Mather’s initial corner floated over everybody, but James Dean picked up the loose ball on the left and whipped in a cross to Teague who out-jumped his marker and nodded past former Chorley keeper Zac Hibbert.

The early goal rocked Simon Garner’s side and Hibbert was called upon minutes later, diving low to save from Hine.

Chorley-born striker Louis Mayers flashed a cross across the face of goal for Clitheroe before blazing a free-kick over.

But just as the NPL Division One North side looked to be getting back into the game, Chorley doubled their lead.

Jarvis’ pass released Dean who made his way into the area and as he tried to round Hibbert, he was tripped by the Clitheroe shotstopper.

Dean picked himself up to take the spot kick and sent Hibbert the wrong way.

The Magpies were on a roll now and Jarvis blazed an effort over while Teague saw a header rebound off the post.

With 10 minutes left in the half, a defensive mix-up saw David Lynch through but he and Cory Bent saw shots blocked by a sliding Teague.

Chorley looked a threat each time they attacked and three minutes later, they scored a third through Almond who lobbed the onrushing Hibbert.

On the stroke of half-time, the Blues almost reduced the deficit but Gonzales’ low shot thundered back off the post.

The first action of the second half saw Clitheroe sub Zac Dale scoop his shot into the arms of Grundy.

Gonzales should have done better when one-on-one with Grundy but he could only shoot straight at the keeper.

Player-manager Garner then drilled a free-kick well wide while the lively Mayers shot over from inside the area.

Magpies sub Whitham had an effort cleared off the line while at the other end Grundy was on hand to beat away Lynch’s edge-of-the-box shot.

Chorley: Grundy, Ross, Mather, Teague, Flynn, Cottrell, Hine, Lynch (Whitham 67), Dean, Almond (Winter 81), Jarvis (Dorney 59). Subs not used: Roscoe, Simm

Clitheroe: Hibbert, Morton, Bamba (Dale 45), Bonaminio, Brady, Garner, Bent (Dent 81), Lynch, Gonzales, Mayers (Burns 83), Walker. Subs not used: Cattermole, Palffy (gk)

Referee: Simeon Lucas