Brig and Fylde through to next round of FA Cup

Joe Booth opens the scoring for Brig
Joe Booth opens the scoring for Brig
Have your say

Bamber Bridge knocked higher tier opposition out of the FA Cup, as a well-taken Joe Booth double ensured progression at the expense of Skelmersdale United

His first goal arrived just before half-time when Regan Linney held the ball up well in the visitors’ area, playing in Booth, who dropped a shoulder and fired low past keeper Martin Fearon.

Skem put Brig under pressure, but just as it looked like squeaky bum time for the home support, a sweeping move resulted in Jamie Milligan’s cross being bundled home by Booth to secure the victory.

AFC Fylde advanced to the FA Cup third qualifying round with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over former Football League side Stockport County at Kellamergh Park.

The only goal of the game came after 33 minutes through Matty Hughes after he poked the ball past keeper Hurst from eight yards out.

Stockport threw everything including their kitchen sink at Fylde in an effort to avoid defeat, and thought they had earned a replay in the 82nd minute when Micah Evans put the ball in the back of the net.

However, the County player was adjudged to have handled the ball into the net much to the dismay of the travelling supporters.

Elsewhere in the cup, Lancaster City were beaten 2-0 at Droyslden, while Kendal were beaten 3-2 by Stalybridge, but Burscough defeated Spennymoor 2-0.

In the league, Clitheroe were thrashed 5-0 by Warrington.

Southport were outclassed by Grimsby Town and suffered a 4-0 defeat in the National League.

They also ended the game with yet another sending of – the sixth straight red in 13 games.

For the first 15 minutes, the Sandgrounders dominated the play and Louis Almond – their best player by a mile – nearly put them in front only to see his 20-yard free kick well saved by James McKeown.

Three minutes later, a defensive mix-up allowed Craig Clay to score from 25yards out.

Goals followed from Craig Disley (29), Jon-Paul Pittman (34 and Josh Gowling (46) and a miserable afternoon for the home side ended with Gary Jones dismissed for kicking out at an opponent in frustration.