Bridge a real Cup four-ce

Goalscorer Andy Bell
Goalscorer Andy Bell
Have your say

Rampant Bamber Bridge stormed through to the quarter-finals of the Lancashire Challenge Trophy with a convincing win over Kendal Town.

Four goals game in the opening 15 minutes with Stu Vasey, Andy Bell and Greg Johnstone giving the home side a three goal advantage.

Tommy Watson reduced the deficit for the Mintcakes minutes later as both sides played free flowing attacking football.

In a quieter second half it took until the final 10 minutes to see Darren Green get himself on the scoresheet to all but seal the victory.

Kendal’s Ricky Mercer pulled a goal back six minutes from time but Neil Crowe’s side held on to join rivals Chorley in the next round.

It was an express start to the game at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium with Brig starting the stronger of the two sides maintaining possession well in the middle of the park.

After a neat spell of passing Vasey broke the back line and as Danny McDonald came rushing off his line, the former delicately chipped him to break the deadlock.

Just one minute later and Bell showed a cool head dribbling past two defenders in the Kendal area to blast the ball in the bottom corner to double the lead.

And just as the Brig fans took their seats they were up standing again as Vasey broke down the right hand side pulling the ball back for Johnstone to calmly tap the ball into the net.

With the game seemingly dead and buried after 13 minutes Kendal pulled a goal back.

After a lighting fast start, the game settled down with both sides enjoying small periods of possession but creating little in the final third.

Former Chorley FC man Simon Wiles was introduced from the bench eight minutes before the break at the expense of the injured Vasey.

Campbell was called into action on the stroke of half time as he tipped a Kieran Pickup effort onto the post.

Both sides emerged unchanged after the interval, and the game was put to bed seven minutes from time,

Substitute Green showed a great turn of pace to break loose with the ball and prod the ball past McDonald.

Almost instantly the visitors pulled a goal back when Mercer volleying the ball into the bottom right hand corner.

Despite the late Kendal goal, Brig maintained possession well to seal their place in the quarter-final of the trophy.