Boston wreck Magpies home record

Mark Ross in action
Mark Ross in action
Have your say

Chorley’s unbeaten home record stretching back to the beginning of March was shattered by a vibrant Boston United who won 2-1 at Victory Park.

The writing was on the wall from the start as the visitors took an immediate grip on the game and the Magpies’ task became harder after just 10 minutes with the loss through injury of influential centre-back and skipper Andy Teague.

It got even worse for the home side as on-loan keeper Dan Nizic picked up an injury which left him hobbling through the second half.

The bare scoreline does not fully reflect Boston’s supremacy. They could have been at least three up by half-time and Mark Ross’s goal for Chorley two minutes into added time was no more than a consolation for the Magpies who had been second-best throughout.

Nizic parried a fierce drive from Dayne Southwell and the visitors’ centre-back Scott Garner headed inches over from Southwell’s cross as Boston made the running.

They deservedly went ahead from a superb counter-attack on 34 minutes. A terrific cross-field ball from the left to the opposite flank picked out Kaine Felix who showed expert ball control before swinging over a centre headed in by Southwell at the far post.

The Magpies then had an escape when Nizic raced out to clear but saw the ball reboun off Felix and bouncejust wide of the gaping goal.

To underline the Pilgrims’ ascendancy, Garner struck the home bar – all this before Chorley’s first attempt on goal, a Jake Cottrell snap-shot from just outside the box which flew high over.

There was little change in the pattern of play after the interval and the lively Felix doubled Boston’s lead in the 56th minute with an angled drive which deflected off Ross and wrong-footed Nizic.

As the Magpies’ sought to recover, a scramble in the visitors’ box resulted in keeper Joel Dixon finally smothering the ball.That was as close as Chorley came with Boston remaining comfortably in control until with time almost up a right-wing corner at last gave the home fans in another excellent Victory Park crowd of 1,114 something to cheer.

Dale Whitham’s shot from short range was blocked but Ross was first to react and stab home the rebound.

By a quirk of the fixture-list the Magpies travel to Boston for the return next Saturday with the two teams now locked on 27 points in fourth and fifth place.

Meanwhile, AFC Fylde’s FA Cup adventure is over for another season after suffering a 2-0 defeat at the hands of League Two Plymouth Argyle.

A goal in either half killed any chance Fylde had of causing an upset despite a number of decent chances going awry for Richie Allen, Michael Barnes and Danny Lloyd throughout the game.

Peter Hartley and Marvin Morgan scored the goals which sent the Pilgrims through to round two.

In the NPL First Division North, Bamber Bridge gained sweet revenge on Spennymoor Town, who knocked them out of the FA Trophy last week.

The two sides met in the league this weekend and Brig ran-out convincing victors 6-1.

Ally Waddecar struck a hat-trick and Glen Steel scored two. Paul McKenna completed the rout.

Lancaster City were beaten 2-0 at Droylsden, but Clitheroe claimed the scalp of Salford City, winning 2-1.

Burscough beat Ossett Albion 3-1 and Kendalk Town drew 4-4 with New Mills.