Awesome Magpies thrash Trinity

James Dean
James Dean
Have your say

With a display described by manager Garry Flitcroft as ‘awesome’ the Magpies swept aside Gainsborough Trinity’s 4-1 to complete a first Conference North league double.

All eyes were on Aaron Burns, Flitcroft’s midweek capture from Nantwich, and the hot-shot did not disappoint, sweeping Chorley into a sixth-minute lead and cleverly creating the crucial second goal for strike-partner James Dean just after the break.

In the event Burns was to be upstaged by the Chorley fans’ long-time favourite James Dean as he struck a hat-trick inside fifteen minutes.

The home side took the lead when a clever piece of skill took Jack Dorney to the by-line and his low centre was turned into the net by Burns from short range.

Visiting keeper Jan Budtz did well to tip to safety a Dean shot curling inside the far post before Josh Hine raced clear only to shoot into the side-net.

Then a deft flick by Dean released Burns and his angled drive beat Budtz but flew just beyond the far post.

The visitors however were undone within a minute of the restart. An instinctive flick-on by Burns in midfield sent Dean clear on goal and he showed fine control to beat Budtz with a composed finish.

Soon afterwards, Adam Roscoe,a towering presence throughout in the Chorley midfield, saw a thunderous drive tipped over by Budtz and then Burns fired high over from six yards with the goal at his mercy.

A fine run by Hine in the 61st minute led to the Magpies going three up. Budtz bravely blocked Hine’s shot but recklessly upended the striker as he sought to regain possession and Dean scored emphatically from the spot.

Five minutes later Dean completed his hat-trick. Roscoe again brought the best out of Budtz with a bullet-header but the keeper could not hold it and was helpless to prevent the opportunist Dean from tucking away the loose ball.

Gainsborough finally got a shot on target but Ashton saved comfortably and there was a closer call at the other end when Hine struck the near post.

The visitors did grab a consolation goal in added time when Andy Teague conceded a penalty which Simon Russell readily converted.

After a tumultuous week of unforeseen managerial changes, Paul Carden’s first game in charge of Southport – after manager Gary Brabin left to coach the Everton Under 21s – ended in a 4-0 defeat to Conference leaders, Barnet at the Hive.

The Bees thus completed the double over the Sandgrounders who were without their captain Luke Foster and leading scorer, Richard Brodie, both starting two-match suspensions.

But the victory was not as easy as the scoreline might suggest.

Charlie McDonald opened the scoring in the 20th minute but Southport held their own right up to eight minutes from time when Luisma converted McDonald’s cross where upon the visitors caved in.

John Akinde scored his 24th goal of the season six minutes later with substitute Sam Muggleton completing the rout.

To add to Southport’s woes, Luke George’s booking means he will be the third member of the first team missing from next Saturday’s home game against Gateshead.

AFC Fylde were knocked out of the FA Trophy by FC United.

A two minute brace for Craig Lindfield on 15 minutes put Fylde on the back foot and when Jerome Wright buried a 38th minute penalty the game looked won from a United point of view.

Fylde needed an early goal in the second half. Josh Langley missed a fantastic chance in the second minute of the half but Josh Wilson headed Fylde back into it on 58 minutes.

But despite having more chances, Fylde couldn’t find another breakthrough and United held on to win.

Elsewhere, in the NPL First Division North, Ally Waddecar’s goal could not prevent Brig losing 2-1 at home to Harrogate.

Other results: Clitheroe 1, Burscough 1; Kendal Town 1, Droylsden 0; Warrington Town 2, Lancaster City 1.