Non-league round-up

In the NPL First Division North, Neil Crowe's Bamber Bridge came away with a point from their longest trip of the season.

Sunday, 14th August 2016, 12:05 pm
Updated Sunday, 14th August 2016, 2:09 pm
Brig manager Neil Crowe

But there were no goals against Scarborough, who play at Bridlington, and Brig will hope for better in their first home league game against Colne on Tuesday night.

Elsewhere, Lancaster City lost 3-1 at home to Droylsden, despite Richard Mercer giving them an early lead.

Lloyd Ellams and Liam Caddick (2) got the visitors’ goals.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Kendal drew 2-2 at Mossley with Oliver Wood and Sam Bailey (penalty) scoring, while Clitheroe got a draw with the same scoreline at Ossett Albion, Kurt Willoughby and Dimitri Tuanzebe on target.

Burscough suffered an opening-day hammering, going down 4-0 at Trafford.

AFC Fylde had to settle for a share of the points in a 1-1 draw against Brackley Town in the first ever game at their new home Mill Farm in the National League North.

The visitors looked like spoiling the party when they took the lead through Lee Ndlovu.

But debutant Steve Williams nicked an equaliser in the final 10 minutes for Fylde.

The opener came after 15 minutes and it was in disappointing fashion for the hosts. Glenn Walker whipped in a dangerous cross to the far post and Ndlovu scrambled the ball home.

The equaliser arrived when Brendon Daniels whipped in a corner from the left and Williams headed home.

Southport gained their first points of the season with a 2-1 home victory against Woking which took them up to 19th place in the National League table.

In an entertaining, end-to-end game, Louis Almond showed his side’s attacking intent in the fourth minute with a shot that went narrowly wide while, at the other end, Tyrell Belford saved well from Zak Ansah.

Dennon Lewis opened the scoring for The Cards in the 13th minute.

But Almond equalised six minutes later with a firmly taken penalty after being upended by Keiran Murtagh.

Three minutes from time, player-manager Andy Bishop provided the pass for Almond to score the winner.