Non-league round-up

Brig reached the FA Cup's first qualifying round after two-goal sub Jamie Milligan's last-gasp winner gave them a 3-2 preliminary-round victory over Brighouse Town.

Sunday, 20th August 2017, 12:51 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:47 pm
Bamber Bridge hero Jamie Milligan (photo: Paul Vause)

But a shadow was cast over Bamber Bridge’s victory after striker Brad Carsley was 
taken to hospital with a head injury following a collision with a concrete fence.

It was the visitors who went ahead through Aaron Martin early on.

But Brig hit back as first Matt Lawlor went close, then Matt Dudley won a penalty from which Michael Potts slotted in the equaliser.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Carsley’s injury came after 15 minutes and the game was held up while he received treatment before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

Regan Linney replaced the frontman but the remainder of the half saw chances at a premium.

After the break, Town went back in front in the 56th minute, Nat Brown’s header doing the damage.

Brig boss Neil Reynolds sent on Milligan and Chris Marlow as the hosts sought a way back into the tie.

And it was 
Milligan who got Bamber Bridge back on terms in the 85th minute, chipping home from the centre-circle after spotting the Town 
keeper off his line.

And in stoppage time, Milligan (left)completed a remarkable turnaround, curling a free-kick from just outside the box in off the post.

Elsewhere in the FA Cup preliminary round, Kendal Town drew 1-1 at Harrogate Railway Athletic, Paul Dawson earning the visitors a replay.

Burscough also scored a late equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Radcliffe Borough, Terry Cummings netting in the 88th minute.

Chorley’s struggles in the National League North continued as goals in each half from Ashley Hemmings and Kabongo Tshimanga gave Boston a 2-0 victory.

It was a third defeat of the season for the Magpies, after Hemmings struck in the 37th minute.

And two minutes after the break, it was game over when Tshimanga added a second.

And it will not get any easier for Matt Jansen’s men.

Next up is a home game against Brackley Town on Saturday, one of only two sides in the National League’s three divisions to have a 100% record after five games.

Meanwhile, Southport kept up their unexpected National League North unbeaten start to the season with a 1-0 win at Alfreton Town.

Both John-Paul Kissock and Liam Martin were hospitalised after Tuesday’s drawn match against FCUnited, 
leaving the Sandgrounders down to the bare bones.

It was another blow, therefore, when after just 22 minutes, Dominic Smith was injured in an off-the-ball incident.

But Port deserved the points delivered by a single goal, a fine finish by Steven Schumacher in the 57th minute, who fired in Brad Jackson’s cross.

And in the NPL Premier Division, Lancaster City had to settle for a 1-1 home draw, Ryan Winder levelling after Andrew Dales gave Mickleover Sports the lead.

In the National League, AFC Fylde were once again denied their first league win by a late goal by visitors Dagenham and Redbridge in a 2-2 draw.

The hosts took the lead early in the match when Henry Jones slotted home.

But Morgan Ferrier’s breakaway goal on the stroke of half-time levelled up proceedings.

Veteran centre-half Simon Grand thought he had won it for Fylde in the dying stages, before Sam Ling nodded in a 94th-minute equaliser.