Too little too late to save Shrimps

Late goal: Kevin Ellison gave Morecambe their customary hope in the closing stages
Late goal: Kevin Ellison gave Morecambe their customary hope in the closing stages
Share this article
Have your say

Morecambe suffered their third away defeat of the season when they went down to a resurgent Bristol Rovers losing 2-1.

Jim Bentley’s side produced another decent away display.

But two major lapses proved costly as the home side went on to win their fourth game in five games since Mark McGhee took over from Paul Buckle.

Morecambe produced their customary late flurry and ended the game on the front foot but could not find their way to get something from the game.

The Shrimps had the better of the first half and were unlucky not to go into the break ahead.

Phil Jevons was unfortunate to hit the woodwork on 29 minutes after being found superbly in the box by Stewart Drummond.

Jevons nipped in between keeper Michael Poke and Cian Bolger to stab the ball goalwards but his effort hit the post before being cleared to safety.

From the resulting Garry Hunter corner, Jason Price diverted a header past Poke but Bolger headed off the line.

After those narrow escaped Rovers came into the game with debutant goalkeeper Chris Kettings making a superb save to to tip Scott McGleish’s near post header onto the left hand post.

The best chance however came in first-half injury time when Kettings could only punch the loose ball to the edge of the area but midfielder Matt Gill missed a great chance as he sidefooted the loose ball wide from the edge of the box, with an open goal ahead of him.

The second half saw the home side step up their workrate but still struggled to pressure Kettings’ goal as the game became a midfield battle.

But the Shrimps’ defence then failed to spot the danger from Eliot Richards’s run down the right just before the hour. He was able to cut inside two weak challenges and deliver a dangerous cross into the area.

McGleish saw his header superbly saved by Kettings but Lee Brown was on hand to sweep the ball home from close range.

As Morecambe pushed forward for an equaliser they were caught on the break on 74 minutes and gave away a sloppy penalty.

Danny Carlton held Matthew Lund’s shirt in the box and veteran Rovers’ striker McGleish made no mistake from the spot.

To their credit, the Shrimps produced a storming comeback.

Kevin Ellison and debutant Jordan Burrow came off the bench and caused the home defence plenty of problems in the final 10 minutes.

Burrow was the architect as Morecambe pulled one back as the former Chesterfield youngster let fly with a volley that Poke could only parry, and Ellison slotted home the loose ball.

Ellison then forced Poke into a fine save in injury time with a stinging volley from a Burrow lay off and the latter produced a low cross that flew across the six yard box but just evaded Ellison’s far post run.

Bristol Rovers: Poke, Woodards, Parkes, Bolger, Paterson; Brown, Stanley, Gill; Anyinsah (Richards 33), McGleish, Harrold (Lund 66).

Booked: Lund, Richards.

Morecambe: Kettings; Haining, McCready, Fenton, Wilson (Ellison 75); Fleming, Drummond, McDonald, Hunter: Jevons (Burrow 72), Price (Carlton 66). Booked: Fenton, Drummond.

Referee: S Hooper. Att: 5,381.