Redshaw rescues point for Shrimps

Jack Redshaw
Jack Redshaw
Share this article
Have your say

Goal ace Jack Redshaw proved to be the Shrimps’ hero again with a last minute header to earn his side a share of the spoils against 10 man Wycombe.

Redshaw popped up to score his seventh league goal to cap a fine comeback from the Shrimps who had trailed 2-0 after a brace from home striker Dean Morgan.

The Shrimps ended the game on a high note but certainly started it on a low as the home side ran them ragged.

Morecambe keeper Barry Roche breathed a huge sigh of relief in only the third minute when he crashed an attempted clearance against Dean Morgan but the ball rebounded just wide.

Wycombe were even closer in the eighth minute when Matt McClure slipped Stuart Lewis through on goal and his strike rebounded back off the post, before Roche saved the midfielder’s follow up.

Wycombe’s top scorer Joel Grant then missed the target from close range before the pressure paid off with the opening goal of the game in the 22nd minute.

The Shrimps saw a free kick on the edge of the Wycombe box cleared, Andy Wright failed to block the through ball and the excellent Morgan took full advantage to run through on goal and slide the ball past Roche.

Grant forced Roche into a save six minutes later and the pressure continued with Morgan firing over from 20 yards after turning past two defenders.

With Wycombe well on top they were reduced to 10 men when Grant was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Wright.

But it didn’t seem to hurt Gareth Ainsworth’s charges too much as they doubled their lead in the 50th minute as Morgan proved too hot to handle for the Morecambe defence as he sped into the box and drilled a low shot past substitute keeper Andreas Arestidou from eight yards. That goal was the spark for the Shrimps to finally up their game and with nothing to lose pushed bodies forwards in an effort to get back into the game.

After finding second gear Morecambe hit back with Jordan Archer making a fine save at his near post to keep out Gary McDonald’s angled drive in the 57th minute.

But the Shrimps pulled level from the resulting corner as Izak Reid swung the ball into the near post and Richard Brodie got in front of his marker to score his side’s first headed goal of the season.

Buoyed by the goal the Shrimps began to bombard the home goal with Ellison hitting the outside of Archer’s post and Brodie seeing a close range volley ruled out for offside.

Archer kept Wycombe’s lead intact in the 76th minute when he got his fingertips on Jack Redshaw’s left-footed strike which was destined for the far corner.

Redshaw would not be denied for long however as with 90 minutes on the clock he produced the final touch to head home from close range to seal a spirited comeback and a well earned point.

In the Conference Premier, Southport were beaten 2-0 by Braintree at Haig Avenue.

Sean Marks did the damage with two goals in the 16th and 20th minutes.