One Ell of a comeback

Kevin Ellison netted twice after the break
Kevin Ellison netted twice after the break
Have your say

Morecambe 3 Newport County 2

Morecambe maintained their spot at the top of League Two after a stunning comeback at the Globe Arena.

Jim Bentley’s side trailed 2-0 at half-time as Newport dominated the opening period of the game.

But after stern words from boss Bentley, the Shrimps bounced back with a fine second-half performance to score three times and take their second three-point haul of the season.

Two goals in three first-half minutes from Adam Chapman and Aaron O’Connor looked to have given the Exiles their first win of the League Two campaign.

Chapman blasted in from the edge of the area on 27 minutes after Robbie Willmott’s free-kick deflected off the wall.

And two minutes later O’Connor was in the right place at the right time to bundle the ball in on the line and put the visitors in charge.

Justin Edinburgh’s men were after revenge over Morecambe having suffered home and away defeats to the Shrimps last season.

But the hosts fought back in the second half with Kevin Ellison once again a thorn in the side of the Exiles.

A fabulous free-kick from the 35-year-old reduced the deficit on 58 minutes as his 25-yard strike flew past Lenny Pidgeley from 25 yards out. Then five minutes later it was 2-2 after a mix-up between Pidgeley and Darren Jones allowed Ellison to nip in and nod home his second of the game and third of the season.

The game then swung from end to end. Jack Redshaw had a golden chance for Morecambe after a swift break but he sent his shot well wide with Mullin better placed.

Redshaw then lofted an effort past Pidgeley that curled inches over the bar before Newport hit back with Lee Minshull seeing an effort well blocked by Mark Hughes and Andy Sandell volleyed just wide after a great first touch.

Morecambe had the final say when Mullin scored his first league goal with a bullet header from Jamie Devitt’s pinpoint cross.

MORECAMBE: Roche, Beeley, Parrish, Hughes, Goodall; Fleming, Williams (Devitt 46), Kenyon; Amond (Mullin 46), Redshaw (Drummond 88), Ellison. Subs (not used): Arestidou, Doyle, Sampson, Wright.

NEWPORT: Pidgeley, Hughes, Yakubu, Jones; Chapman (Jeffers 77), Byrne, Minshull, Sandell, Willmott; Howe (Zebroski 70), O’Connor (Jolley 86). Subs (not used): Thomas, Jackson, Klukowski.

Referee: S Stockbridge.

Attendance: 1,506